Bee Stings II

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - and steward of 8 others.
Reading the other 'Bee Stings' thread induces me to ask a different question.

I'm about to get my first bees and naturally I'm pretty excited by it.
Strange thing is, others are, too. For example, a neighbour has asked if, when they're established, can his kids have a look.

So, how do others ensure 'visitors' can take a peek with minimum risk?

Naturally, a beehive is not a zoo; I realise bees deserve respect, shouldn't be messed about just for the sake of it - and I hope I will be a calm and careful 'keeper.

However, they are wild creatures, accidents happen and I can't in principle, believe the bees can discriminate between the person handling them and a visitor. I have a full suit - but I got a 'visitor's smock' from a well known supplier. It's very thin and only covers the top half.

Any advice? I do want to share the pleasure with others - but do so safely.

Dusty

Last edited:
You wear the smock and afford your visitors the same level of protection that you would give yourself.

Last edited:
In which case you say yes by all means you can come and have a careful look from behind the hive but... at your own risk, and explain the risk can be extreme, and type it out, print it and ask the neighbour to sign it.

Not being funny and no wish to spoil the treat but the risk exists, has to be recognized, and has to be dealt with from YOUR point of view as its your **** in the dock.

PH

I had simular interest last year. I built a top bar hive with a inspection window in the back. Lots of people were amazed to see what was going on inside. I transfered the bees into a national later in year. Not a great fan of TB's but it did it's job. No problem's with the bees, but they are easy going. May house a swarm in it again this year for intrested party's. Have spare bee suits ready if needed. :cool:

Hi there,

I personally dont let anyone near my hives unless they are fully covered but I now have 4 full suits for visitors or staff incase of any issues.
The choice is fully yours and the neighbours but it would be a huge risk also if not fully protected and your first bees it may also be safer to get to know them, how they react when handled and what upsets them and what does not.
The risk is very high - your call but safer to just verbally explain what happens in the hive with good management, even offer them a nice pot of honey when you get some and keep happy neighbours rather than risk an accident and have unhappy scared neighbours or even worse.

I would suggest the same principle as motorcycling, don't let them wear anything you wouldn't wear yourself.
I have an observers smock as well, ok for someone watching but long sleeves required underneath. I would be a bit wary of the waist getting below crotch level with a little 'un, so I'd get a proper suit.

The "observer's smock" is fine -- over something like a pullover, with long sleeves and a bit of thickness.

For little people, a belt over the top may be helpful. And jeans and wellies.

A see-through crown-board allows a lot of observation without much contact and disturbance to the bees. (I admit to being an enthusiast...) Ideal for 'look, but don't touch' visits.

I'd suggest a strict policy of only one first-time visitor at a time.
And only when it absolutely suits you (and the bees).

And I would be very wary indeed about the concept of asking your neighbour to sign a printed document agreeing that what you have on the other side of the fence is highly dangerous and potentially lethal, implying that you accept that you might be putting them at peril when using their own garden.

I recall that Poly Hive thinks that gardens are not the place for beehives.
Start waving liability disclaimers at your neighbours, and either your bees won't be in your garden for very long, or your neighbours won't be friends any more.

Unless you are happy that your bees are calm and quiet, don't have them in the garden, let alone demonstrate their feistiness to non-beekeepers!

At least your neighbour is positive, asking if his kids can take a look rather than alarmist reactions which are all too frequent these days. Earlier in the season, when the colony is less than full strength is probably the better option. Wait until the end of July and then invite their dad over :D
Personally, I think it's great to get youngsters interested in 'real' things and I can just see the look on their faces when they taste some honey!!

Thanks everyone for your wisdom - even if I don't want to hear some of it in my enthusiasm!

And I would be very wary indeed about the concept of asking your neighbour to sign a printed document...............

Perhaps I should have mentioned the neighbour is a barrister!

Dusty.

My ex-vicar was always asking for a look...so I kitted him out and arranged for him to visit on a regular inspection day...so that I didn't open the hive especially. He found, as I do, that a hive is the ideal Christian world - all working for one another...and has asked for a hive in his new home...

All of our neighbours have been to look at our bees, not at the same time!

Nobody can approach the hives from the front, because there's a flower bed in the way. We have acrylic crown boards.

They have looked at the entrance, from a few feet away, have seen bees zooming out and vanishing upwards, seen them coming into land loaded up with pollen. They have, one at a time, looked through the crown board - from the back of the hive.

They've also watched them collecting water from the gravelled part of our pond, seeing how they almost blend into the background.

They have said, "Ahh, that's interesting/fascinating," or, "There are a lot of them," and suchlike, and have gone home again. Interest satisfied, and the hope of some lovely local honey later in the year.

I think that if I'd made them suit up, had reminded them how 'dangerous' they could be then they would be less happy about them being in our garden.

It's something of a balancing act, isn't it.

Why not make one like this, kids on the left , adults on the right ;) No stings;)

I just let the neighbours smallest son ( aged 7) wear a full sized suit!! it totally drowned him, but at least he was properly protected from bee stings.

Hi dusty

Couple of suggestions -
Ask your neighbour to wear your suit and come over first so he can "trial run" your demo and approve the kids visit.
I bought a cheap hat &veil for visitors - might be an option?
Or for really cheap option, remove a frame, shake lightly to disturb flyers and take only one frame a few yards away to show neighbour and kids together.

It's a novelty now, chances are they'll soon forget its there.
Oh and enjoy your new hobby!
Eb

Latest posts

Back