Bee Gym (for varroa treatment)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone use the Bee Gym for dislodging varroa mites?

Just wondered if it was worth trying?

You'd be better off using it as a missile to throw at any varroa you spot. It certainly isn't going to save your colony from varoosis.

:ROFLMAO: yeah I know it’s not going to rid the hive of varroa by itself.

Just thought it might be beneficial as part of IPM. Especially with it being chemical free.

not sure if the doubters have actually tried it, they don't say. I can only say from my experience.
I have tried it and agree it's not going to be the only thing you do perhaps, but I monitored before and when installed and definite significant increase in varroa drop onto board was seen for two subsequent visits. So to me it did seem to have an effect and I've got some in each of my hives. So I think they could be part of an overall strategy to deal with varroa.

not sure if the doubters have actually tried it, they don't say. I can only say from my experience.
I have tried it and agree it's not going to be the only thing you do perhaps, but I monitored before and when installed and definite significant increase in varroa drop onto board was seen for two subsequent visits. So to me it did seem to have an effect and I've got some in each of my hives. So I think they could be part of an overall strategy to deal with varroa.
So you know the gym was responsible for the increased drop and not a general increase in numbers and subsequent drop as the season progresses. It’s a gimmick!! Goes with those buggie entrance feeders!! I’ve not seen the line of commercial men who could save hours/pounds in reduced treatments.

We don’t have to try every bit of snake oil, there are decent research groups, large scale beekeepers who are well worth following. The fact few are in the UK is just a reflection of uk beekeeping. The fact the bee gym doesn’t feature probably gives you a clue!

Varroa numbers are not static. They tend to rise if nothing is done

I've used one .. I saw a pattern of varroa drop on the inspection board that was in the vicinity of the bee gym .. I don't think, on its own, it's going to save a hive that is heavily infested with varroa but it certainly seemed to work as the inventer intended. So - as an additional tool in the armoury against varroa ... not snake oil this one. Don't knock it until you have tried it ...

but you'll need about fifty in your hive for it to have even the slightest impact
I had two in my long deep hive - unfortunately, the bees dismantled them - I keep meaning to send them back to Stuart as he has offered to restring them but I haven't got round to it. As a passive all year round add aid to varroa mnagement I think they are OK.

I had two in my long deep hive - unfortunately, the bees dismantled them - I keep meaning to send them back to Stuart as he has offered to restring them but I haven't got round to it. As a passive all year round add aid to varroa mnagement I think they are OK.
Ah...but you're not a proper beekeeper ;)

You could of course build the full on country club for beeshttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0tljtR0BkMs

Latest posts

Back