Bbka magazine

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you who ever open the bbka mag, the new layout is much better and this month's mag is quite interesting.
I am neither for or against the bbka, just saying.
I agree. I found the "News in brief" a star feature. The EU proposals on honey labelling seem to be something that Westminster might [if MPs are in sensible mood] consider to support UK beekeeping - is honey importing to be discouraged? [I believe the less we import the better.] Also the effectiveness of electric harp traps to combat Asian hornets was thought-provoking. Using such devices seems to require caution even if they have merit. Sadly the article was no more than a "taster" but my own www research interest was not a waste of time - not for me, yet! Rating for the Feb issue: 45% for me.

For those of you who ever open the bbka mag, the new layout is much better and this month's mag is quite interesting.
I am neither for or against the bbka, just saying.
I agree, i'm enjoying the new format - sometimes a refresh is a good thing

Returning to bbka matters. Has anybody tried registering on the bbkaforum recently? It's been a few days and I still haven't received my activation email. Is this normal or has somebody decided I'm a spam bot?
BBKA forum looking for admins on Twitter. ? Yesterday.
They may be short staffed.
BBKAadvert.jpg

View attachment 38871
Thanks that's helpful to know. I saw they were looking for an admin a few months ago.

I'm not sure why there are people on here that take every opportunity to have a pop at the bbka. Pretty sad if you ask me.

The new magazine looks great.

View attachment 38871
I had a few months as a member of their group some time ago. The level of beekeeping discussion and "knowledge" was depressingly low. Any attempt to give constructive advice generated nursery school responses so I gave it the elbow.

Objective story would be welcome.
It's all water under the bridge and doesn’t really matter any more.
If the BBKA was more active in supporting its members rather than ticking off exams?
Where were they with Oxalic acid for example?
There are good parts mind you

It's all water under the bridge and doesn’t really matter any more.
If the BBKA was more active in supporting its members rather than ticking off exams?
Where were they with Oxalic acid for example?
There are good parts mind you
I'm a member/lurker on a number of different forums relating to various interests. In nearly every case the forum has either split off from another organisation or forum or has lost a number of members to a splinter forum. Nearly all of the old guard who make up the vast majority of the post volumes assume everyone else on the forum understand the reasons for these splits and when they are (rarely) discussed they are generally shown to be pretty insignificant. The Peoples front of Judea and Judean peoples front come to mind:sneaky:

Nearly all of the old guard who make up the vast majority of the post volumes assume everyone else on the forum understand the reasons for these splits
I don’t think they do. It just doesn’t occur to any of them that it’s an issue. It only arises when somebody makes a comment. The fact that one member thinks others’ attitudes to the BBKA are sad is of no consequence at all. As Philip is fond of saying, “We are a broad church”

There are a few members on here that were attracted to this forum in its early days after experiencing what was, at the time, the BBKA forum in 2010. The forum came into existence because the original forum owner felt that there was a place for a forum where beekeeping could be discussed openly, without restriction - he had concerns, with others, that the BBKA forum, at that time, did not meet the perception or vision he had. This forum grew rapidly and the BBKA forum at best remained static and at worst, judging by the posting activity back in those days, shrank.

It's fair to say that the policies of this forum were more liberal than those of the BBKA .. we are, generally, permitted to express our views - across a wide spectrum of topics, some of which have a passing asscociation with beekeeping. Posts are rarely removed, threads are lightly moderated and when you look at the number of views that threads attract it is clearly a vibrant and well supported forum. At any one time - day or night - there are always large numbers of people (not including Bots) on line and viewing posts - this has to be a measure of its popularity.

Yes, there are members on here who are disparaging about the BBKA ... their experiences are their views and we are fortunate that they are permitted to express them. Equally, there is no reason why we would censor anyone who felt that their view of the BBKA was positive and they are free to express their views without any intervention from the moderators.

I am a member of the BBKA through my association - the Insurance alone is good value and I enjoy the social side of my local association and the various benefits of belonging to Hampshire BKA .. do I wish the National Association was more pro-active in some areas ?- yes I do. Do I feel inclined to make an effort to get involved and change things .. I regret to say that I'm a bit apathetic in that respect.

So, in a long winded way I've said what Dani said - we are a broad church - but there is no compulsion to either participate or accept the comments of a minority - feel free to post your views - objective or subjective. I think we have it about right here - I rarely dip into the BBKA forum but I'm sure some people do.

Last edited:
The forum came into existence because the original forum owner felt that there was a place for a forum where beekeeping could be discussed openly, without restriction - he had concerns, with others, that the BBKA forum, at that time, did not meet the perception or vision he had.
That wasn't really the whole story though was it? if I remember correctly Mark was actually helping them build a new forum, but was so badly treated he just upped sticks and walked, taking the forum design with him.
I remember the BBKA forum in those days, only the chosen few were allowed to have an opinion, some of those turn up here occasionally - it was so heavily moderated it wasn't worth the bother. Nothing much has changed over there it seems.
A stagnant pool has more attraction.

That wasn't really the whole story though was it? if I remember correctly Mark was actually helping them build a new forum, but was so badly treated he just upped sticks and walked, taking the forum design with him.
I remember the BBKA forum in those days, only the chosen few were allowed to have an opinion, some of those turn up here occasionally - it was so heavily moderated it wasn't worth the bother. Nothing much has changed over there it seems.
A stagnant pool has more attraction.
There were some disagreements at the time - but it's a long time ago now and there's not a lot of benefit digging up ancient history - As I said, I don't dip in there very often so I can't say what it's like now - if others wish to comment then they are at liberty to do so.

Back