BBKA magazine recommending open feeding?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t get the rag. Who the devil is saying this?
Not the same chap suggesting we all shook swarm all our colonies in the spring?

Karl Colyer of Cheshire BKA.
He’s doing “in the apiary” throughout the year.

I wonder what the NBU would make of this?

Yes, egregious. Is there any mechanism for the forum to send a petition of disapproval to the mag? Alternatively maybe we should bombard the mag with messages of derision. I'll write to the editor of my local BKA newsletter.

It was possibly intended for the folk who were told it was too late to feed in October...

Even you were a devoutly loyal Bbka stalwart would you not raise an eyebrow at this?

I know there's an editorial disclaimer but surely someone would have questioned it and before it got into the hands of new bkeeps who may naively believe everything they're told.

The only possible way it could get worse is if some muppet recommends using tescos honey😂

I know there's an editorial disclaimer
and that is shameful in itself. If, as they claim, they are the 'voice' of English beekeeping then they have a duty to their members to not allow any old clown to contribute such hogwash to the magazine. By having this idiot Colier as their official monthly 'what to do in the apiary' correspondent, they are ostensibly endorsing him and his opinions.
Shameful

You have to remember these are NOT peer reviewed... its what the editor can get hold of.
Although last couple of issues have proudly claimed to incorporate the British Bee Journal, the name of which gives an aura of respectability/implication of peer review.

I have used this mehod for years following advice of the BBKA. To avoid colonies cross contamination and disease I tend to blow the feed through allmy crownboards which are kept opened by a matchstick. This is another BBKA gem and also ensure that my hive number never increase as I lose most othem in the winter !!

On other threads we discuss improving beeks knowledge and undrstanding to improve our bees. How can we achieve this with all that rubbish that is published from the so called establishment!!

You have to remember these are NOT peer reviewed... its what the editor can get hold of.
Then I’d suggest they get an editor with some idea or competence with keeping bees, who could then review the tiny amount of articles involved. It’s not the Financial Times is it?
I’d also think if it’s all they can “get hold of”…they may be better off not printing anything😂
It really can’t be that hard finding some with a basic competence in the BBKA can it?

Last edited:
Then I’d suggest they get an editor with some idea or competence with keeping bees,
:iagree: the whole point of an editor is to edit - and ensure the trash stays in the bin

This was the new editors first edition....pity really, I read it and knew what the general feeling in this site would be, understandably! Please write in and say what you think? If no one tells them then how do they know public feeling. I feel for them in an odd way. I know how difficult a monthly magazine is without repeating yourself every year or even every issue. I am not a member of the bbka so I have no allegiances but if we simply groan on this site no one will be any the wiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back