Basic Assessment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxpinx

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm taking my Basic Assessment next week, does anyone have any helpful tips to pass on?

Suddenly feeling a bit nervous about forgetting everything!

Pass rate is very high so don't worry. The very few people that fail tend to be unable to answer the questions on disease or are very poor at manipulation or haven't a clue about swarm control. Most people that take it enjoy the experience and also pick up a few tips from the assessors.

Never taken it so can't comment.

But from what I've heard and see from some that have, remember not to hold the smoker by the pointy end, you'll be right.

I'm taking my Basic Assessment next week, does anyone have any helpful tips to pass on?

Suddenly feeling a bit nervous about forgetting everything!

The assessor is there to see if you have the basic knowledge and the handling of bees when you open the hive. Just don't nail the frame you make up to the table as one of our candidates did who unfortunately failed.

Just don't nail the frame you make up to the table as one of our candidates did who unfortunately failed.

Oh my goodness! I'd never have thought that was possible... now I've got something else to worry about!

Yes, frame making is quite a big part of it.. 11 nails and all correctly placed will see you with 40% of the exam.
Just relax, know the basics like Q W D difference. Dont drop a frame, and know a bit about varroa, and you will be fine.

Yes, frame making is quite a big part of it.. 11 nails and all correctly placed will see you with 40% of the exam.
Just relax, know the basics like Q W D difference. Dont drop a frame, and know a bit about varroa, and you will be fine.

Unless your using something other than nationals .. Langstroths require 12, as do dadent.. the foundation has an extra V due to the frame length so requires an extra pin..

Did mine last year. Needed a good explanation of how to make splits / AS and general swarm control.
Make sure you have reliable material for lighting your smoker.
Make up a box of all the required items.
A pin pusher is useful for getting the pins into the frames.
Useful, if you're nervous, to talk through what you are doing as it jogs your memory of the next step: e.g. "I'm lifting the crown board" leads to "I'm making sure the queen isn't on it".
Actually in my exam, there were two bees on the crown board - and - one was the queen - phew!
Best of luck. Remember the examiners want you to pass.

Thanks everyone! I spent most of yesterday making up frames, so should be alright on that at least...
I just did a running commentary to myself while I inspected my hives this morning - felt a little silly, but good practice.
Perhaps someone can advise me: when I open a hive with a super on it I have a look at a couple of frames to get a feel for how full it is - I wouldn't usually go through every frame in the super - is that the "correct" BBKA thing to do?

With experience you can tell by the weight and balance how full it is.. I only bother to check mine when they're getting heavy.
Certainly when I did my basic none of the hives on the day had supers on .. they were all removed before the candidates got to inspect the hive..
Mine was interesting .. it had had 5 supers on it (yes they were standing next to it) and it was also undergoing supercedure .. found that QC on frame 2 and no eggs and very few late stage larva in 8 frames of brood I went through to try and find some.

Light your smoker before you veil up (health and safety). There is no need in the Basic assessment to go or look into the super. If there are several supers on then they can be removed in one go but ask the assessor to give you a hand.
Assembling a frame is worth just 4 marks out of total of 100 marks for the whole assessment (this is not 40% of the marks as as suggested by Heather). It is unlikely the assessor will expect every frame to be examined and will stop you when it is felt that you have done enough. Practise shaking the bees off the comb into a gap in the brood nest so that you can look for foul brood. Practise obtaining sample of bees for adult bee diagnosis (block entrance with foam and collect 30 older (= foragers) bees off front of hive using large matchbox). Make sure you are seen to check underside of excluder for queen when you remove it and do not put it on top of the supers but lean it against front of hive.

Last edited:
Check over the syllabus and take comfort that you can talk around the basics therein. Be keyed up especially on the diseases and pests mentioned, as you are likely to be asked to describe signs, symptoms and actions (particularly EFB/ AFB). Keep your smoker alight. Don't let go of your hive tool. Describe Q, W, D, nectar, honey, pollen, propolis, etc. Make a frame to exact specs. Take your time, speak what you see. Good luck!

And if you are looking for the queen and the examiner suggested they hold a frame for you... relook.. the queen will be on the frame they want to keep out. They do try to help you too.

I should be doing the basic soon - my cheque just got cashed 4 months after I submitted my application :)

Did mine today. Was a painless experience although I was nervous. Don't think I made too much of a plonker of myself.

Latest posts

Back