Balsam

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Balsam both a valuable source of pollen and nectar. By bees are covered in the grey powder but not carrying much in the way of pollen (small bags).

Himalayan Balsam has evolved to use the Asiatic bee in pollination, I heard someone say it was a valuable nectar source for HB but not so much for pollen. No idea if that's true.

Nectar is the main pay load , pollen collection is incidental :)

If you have balsam around, most years require little or no Autumn feeding !
Always check stores as part of your Winter preparations ;)

VM

Local groups are asking for volunteers to take part in Balsam Bashing in Garstang and Preston this week.

Loads of Balsam 6 miles in each direction but only patches locally:banghead: It's been out for a good few weeks now. Not seen any 'ghost' bees yet though, they're obviously happy working something else; bramble getting close to finishing, loads of clover, willowherb and other flowers of the hay meadow/garden.

I spent 10 minutes or so watching the hives today and the bees are zipping in and out so presumably still drawing in loads of nectar. It's getting close to needing another super on my main hive (already got 3 super boxes and a brood box above the QE, all almost fully of uncapped nectar:cool:)

If you have balsam around, most years require little or no Autumn feeding !
Always check stores as part of your Winter preparations ;)

VM

Never knew what this plant was that suddenly laid claim to an area, previously eroded, now restored with logging laid across the bridleway. I was happy just to have some rooted plants helping to prevent further erosion. Turns out to have a few uses for me then.

My previously lacklustre hives are going nuts this week - it must have just turned on the taps :cheers2: Funny thing is, other than this path I don't know where else it is growing but it must be in number somewhere - must check out of interest.
BL

Balsam just starting to flower here in the frozen North. Bees haven't found it yet as far as I can tell. Cartloads of willow herb and white clover in full flower.

Never knew what this plant was that suddenly laid claim to an area, previously eroded, now restored with logging laid across the bridleway. I was happy just to have some rooted plants helping to prevent further erosion. Turns out to have a few uses for me then.

My previously lacklustre hives are going nuts this week - it must have just turned on the taps :cheers2: Funny thing is, other than this path I don't know where else it is growing but it must be in number somewhere - must check out of interest.
BL
Don't know about halting erosion ?
The first half decent frost sees it off :) It is a shallow rooted annual which literally disappears without trace once frost damaged !
I does wilt badly in dry sunny weather if not growing in a naturally damp spot !

VM

Ghost bees appeared at the hive entrance last night its taken them a while to find it especially when I have seen it flowering the past few weeks

Lots of willow herb round me but not seen any balsam (have to confess prior to this week had never heard of it!). Found out about it when I asked my Mum why some of my bees had changed colour so their must be some round me! Mine seem to be coming in with just a blob of pollen on their backs, rather than in their pollen baskets. Why is it carried differently from other pollen?

Lots of willow herb round me but not seen any balsam (have to confess prior to this week had never heard of it!). Found out about it when I asked my Mum why some of my bees had changed colour so their must be some round me! Mine seem to be coming in with just a blob of pollen on their backs, rather than in their pollen baskets. Why is it carried differently from other pollen?
The orchid like flower of the balsam carries it's stamen at the roof of it's tubular form . It also has a trigger hair ,which when touched by the bee on entry triggers the stamen to tap the bee on its' back thus depositing pollen.
The fruiting body also has a trigger which causes the pod to pop and fling the ripe seed a fair distance :)

VM

Could it be that while being dusted on their backs as they go into the flower they are not actually seeking the pollen but the nectar?

what time of the year is the pest time to plan HB seeds and what sort of ground to they favour

what time of the year is the pest time to plan HB seeds and what sort of ground to they favour

Never because it would be illegal;).

They naturally spread their seeds in the autumn and like damp, shadey conditions like those provided by river banks

Never because it would be illegal;).

They naturally spread their seeds in the autumn and like damp, shadey conditions like those provided by river banks

I am told that seed rolled in damp clay'y soil catapults a fair distance ;)

If too successful however, it could result in the attentions of the balsam bashers :).
I was talking to some environmental agency employees working on a nearby stream who said it had been mooted that herbicide may be the answer to the devil weed as they perceive it!
I hope it has been quietly shelved, herbicide +marginal plants sounds suspect to me!

VM

Last edited:
HB requires a winter to condition the seeds before they germinate...(think of where they come from - like Himalayan poppies).

They are legal in my garden and nearly 2.5 metres tall..

Most environmental agencies are seeing big budget cuts and herbicide costs money.. As usual with that type of agency, work expands to fill the job so they always have new targets and need more and more money..

We have lots of ragwort near us: reputed to be deadly to animals when present in hay.. I don't see the EAs coming round pulling it up..

Nothing like austerity to focus people's minds when asking for our taxes to spend and they are told "no"...

There was a time when I'd see council gangs ripping up ragwort, seems a long time ago. It seems to be allowed to multiply these days, it's everywhere, illegal to have it growing on your land apparently. The authorities can't enforce it as there's to much growing along the verges.

As for the best conditions for HB, it seems to grow equally well in full sun and it's that shallow rooted that I've even seen it growing from a thin layer of 'medium' caused by the build up of dust on the curb line of a lane. Literally 1/4" of soil.

Latest posts

Back