Bailey Comb Change

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a100sam

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

A week ago I started a Bailey comb change and today I inspected my two hives and it was ready to move on to stage two. I found the queens, moved them to the new brood box and added queen excluders. I was told to create a new entrance and the guy from Thorne's tole me to use a crown board with a bit cut out to make a new entrance. A couple of questions:

1) do I put this above or below the queen excluder once the queen is in the top brood box?

2) do I cover the two holes where the bee escapes are supposed to go?

Thanks for the help everyone.

I wouldn't bother with another entrance.
I'm assuming now as you've said they're ready to move on to 'stage two' that they've drawn out new foundation and you've put the queens in there with a QX below (and above the old box) - once all the brood has emerged, and they've moved stores up from the lower box you can just remove it - they'll just use the original entrance at the bottom.
Surprised but gladdened to see you have sufficient bees to start a bailey change at this time of the year - you'll need plenty to cover the old brood and look after the queen in the new box

Also stated the bailey change last week. Not quite ready for stage 2 but will at the time:-

close the lower entrance
add queen excluder on top of old brood box
new entrance on top of excluder
Put the new brood box back on top.

The new entrance I have is similar to what you suggest but with a larger hole in the middle to make it easier for the bees to pass through. I have found using the old entrance only does work but you may find a lot of new pollen being stored there rather than in the new brood box.

Good luck.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Thanks. So would you leave the two holes in the board, rather than but escapes in them or cover them completely with mesh?

I wouldn't bother with another entrance.
I'm assuming now as you've said they're ready to move on to 'stage two' that they've drawn out new foundation and you've put the queens in there with a QX below (and above the old box) - once all the brood has emerged, and they've moved stores up from the lower box you can just remove it - they'll just use the original entrance at the bottom.
Surprised but gladdened to see you have sufficient bees to start a bailey change at this time of the year - you'll need plenty to cover the old brood and look after the queen in the new box

I'm a bit uneasy regarding bailey changes at this time, I would like higher night temperatures.

Hi, you will need to leave them open so the bees can move from the lower to the top brood box.

Testka is right. Closing the bottom entrance and opening an upper entrance above the excluder reduces the amount of pollen stored in the lower box.

I made a simple eke with an entrance slot cut in it to make the upper entrance. You don't then need a crown board at all between the boxes. Closing the bottom entrance also prevents returning foragers walking over the dirty comb in bottom box.

Certainly too early for me to start doing this yet. I am planning to do two hives, but not for several weeks; we haven't hit the high teens temperature wise on this side of the country.

I am planning a Bailey Comb Change, not for 2-3 weeks. I have asked several people, why the second entrance? If the queen is above the QE whats the problem, why the second entrance? No one has come up with an answer.

Anyone here able to enlighten me.

Sally

so, more important if carrying out a Bailey Comb Change for disease reasons, ie Nosema, but not necessary?
Sally

Yes...also helps by the foragers not tending to bring back pollen and store it in the bottom box as much,...so they say.

Last edited:
Back