Badger threat

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the whole badger debacle is about bovine tubercolosis.

I wish badgers were rare around Dover they are a pain with the damage they do but my bees are in Deal where the foxes are the problem. I don't think a badger would have much grief opening a hive if it really wanted to do so

Hivemaker: How?

When the passenger pigeons became extinct the species they predated on increased because we removed the pigeons from the foodweb. Likewise, when they became extinct they were food for another species and so man's intervention caused further problems in the balance. Culling has consequences for the WHOLE of nature, not just one species. It is complex and not a simple should we/shouldn't we. The badger cull is about TB which BADGERS, as it happened, contracted from cows, not the other way around. But badgers are not worth money as are cows.

So we have removed the predators like wolves and bears ect,which means we have to now be the predators..for the likes of starving red dear which now have no other predators in this country apart from man.

Do you kill varroa mites?

Have a satellite sett about 25 m from the hive , no problem at all .

Its funny Sky arn't charging for it!:)

Reading the above posts we are fast footing it into winter!:)

Last edited:
Don't think badgers are interested in bees.
Their biggest worry is the cull.
Could people show mercy and help.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38257

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibogahMnt6A[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OghDSaD1nAI&feature=share[/ame]

"So we have removed the predators like wolves and bears ect,which means we have to now be the predators..for the likes of starving red dear which now have no other predators in this country apart from man." - Hivemaker

The deer are starving because their natural predators have been removed through culling and hunting by man and now we have another problem as a consequence of that.

Do I kill varroa mites? Yes I do because I see varroa mites as a disease and I protect the honeybees in much the same way as I take antibiotics when I have an infection. We use antibiotics to boost our immune system. In evolutionary terms it is the survival of the fittest and if we didn't use medicines the number of human beings in the world would significantly decrease. In strict evolutionary terms it should be the survival of the fittest but we choose to protect honeybees as a means of conservation. Does this raise another question? Does it mean that by artificially treating the varroa mite we get a resistant varroa mite in time instead of the fittest of honeybees succeeding? A complex issue, the consequences of which should be considered.

"So we have removed the predators like wolves and bears ect,which means we have to now be the predators..for the likes of starving red dear which now have no other predators in this country apart from man." - Hivemaker

The deer are starving because their natural predators have been removed through culling and hunting by man and now we have another problem as a consequence of that.

Do I kill varroa mites? Yes I do because I see varroa mites as a disease and I protect the honeybees in much the same way as I take antibiotics when I have an infection. We use antibiotics to boost our immune system. In evolutionary terms it is the survival of the fittest and if we didn't use medicines the number of human beings in the world would significantly decrease. In strict evolutionary terms it should be the survival of the fittest but we choose to protect honeybees as a means of conservation. Does this raise another question? Does it mean that by artificially treating the varroa mite we get a resistant varroa mite in time instead of the fittest of honeybees succeeding? A complex issue, the consequences of which should be considered.

But to let nature take its course, survival of the fittest and all that, we may end up with no bees! gun and foot come to mind.:)

[IThe deer are starving because their natural predators have been removed

Man has been hunting and eating deer since prehistoric times - doesn't that make us a natural predator. Deer are starving through over population thanks to the misguided attempts to 'protect' them. Look at the terrible cruelty and mismanagement found on the LACS 'deer sanctuary':cuss:

Take our guns away and I wonder how natural a predator we would be.

A study of human ecology is good for perspective when it comes to debates like this. Survival of the fittest is the basic rule and it applies to humans as well as other animals.

Sorry 'guns' as in weaponry of any kind. A generic term.

Like going back to being monkeys,chasing heards of mammoths and dear off cliffs or into pits...like that you mean,or back to being plankton or such like.

"Dairy farmers argue that badgers are responsible for passing bovine TB to cows, and that a badger cull would help prevent the killing of thousands of dairy cows every year – animals who will be ‘culled’ anyway when they are no longer deemed to be adequately profitable. The fact that cow-to-cow transmission is more common and is not being properly dealt with gets lost in the clamour for a badger cull.

Moreover, many more dairy cows are killed each year because of lameness, mastitis or infertility than are killed because of bovine TB. Yet dairy farmers focus on the disease where they can scapegoat wildlife, rather than on the more devastating conditions that point to their own failure to improve welfare."

"Also, according to the Government, the number of cattle deaths is actually decreasing in England and Wales, with around 25,000 slaughtered in Britain because of the disease in 2010 (compared to 40,000 in 2008). Compare this to approximately 90,000 dairy cows killed annually due to mastitis (infection of the udder), 31,000 due to lameness and 125,000 due to infertility. The figure is also dwarfed by the 2,690,000 cattle that were slaughtered by the UK livestock industry in 2010 for their meat or when their milk productivity dropped. After all, a cow is only kept alive as long as there is money to be made by doing so."

Back