Bad Day Beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Winker,
Less than a perfect day I agree. You have to count your lucky stars though it could have been a lot worse! Hope you don't end up out of pocket. Best of luck with the insurers sometimes they are really nice.

I'd consider yourself lucky then because they could have easily refused to pay you out as accidental or not there is an element of negligence there no matter how you dress it up .. :cool:

Real Job's comforter you eh?:rolleyes:
Any chance your favourite motto is 'where there's blame there's a claim" :D

How long before RAB sees this (make him feel a bit better that he's not the only one :))

Shame about the car though - must have been a traumatic experience

Lol, beekeeping just keeps getting more and more exciting!

oh! oops. I just plug the nozzle with grass jam it next to the wheel arch (metal in van) and drive to the next apiary, hoping that it doesnt go out. Think i'd better rethink.

Real Job's comforter you eh?:rolleyes:
Any chance your favourite motto is 'where there's blame there's a claim" :D

Not at all, :rolleyes: quite the opposite really as I am no big fan of insurance companies that you can be sure of, seriously he is very lucky his insurance is being so amicable about it, they normally will do every thing in their power to avoid paying out, I know from fist hand experience.

It is a shame the car was lost and would have definitely been devastating had the dogs been in there for certain but I am just saying it how I see it.

Hi Winker,
Less than a perfect day I agree. You have to count your lucky stars though it could have been a lot worse! Hope you don't end up out of pocket. Best of luck with the insurers sometimes they are really nice.

Can we have a competition? 'Name the Car' year,make, model, engine size, original colour etc:)

Frivolity aside, it must have been terrible to have to watch it burn!
Your well, that's all that matters.

Not at all, :rolleyes: quite the opposite really as I am no big fan of insurance companies that you can be sure of, seriously he is very lucky his insurance is being so amicable about it, they normally will do every thing in their power to avoid paying out, I know from fist hand experience.

It is a shame the car was lost and would have definitely been devastating had the dogs been in there for certain but I am just saying it how I see it.

I once had an internal flood in my home.
Made a claim on my home insurance, they paid up!
Sued the builder, cannot go into the reasons, builder eventually paid up. Did not get to court.
Less than a week later the insurance company wrote demanding repayment of cheque they had issued quoting "you cannot be paid out twice for the same incident".
The point is, how did they know the builder had paid up? :(

The builder claimed on his insurance and they all share the info around

But I was suing the builder for the disruption and inconvenience, it was around Christmas, no central heating, house upside down figuratively speaking. Not for the repairs and replacements etc.

I have a smoker per apiary site to reduce the likelyhood of flaming the car.

Were the car alloys magnesium ? Nothing left !

Hope you don't end up out of pocket. Best of luck with the insurers

You always end up 'out of pocket'.

The loss of no claims benefit (or one claim closer to it), the disruption, the incidental losses, higher premiums in the future. They all add up in favour of the insurance company - they make a profit.

Unfortunately there are some that try to make a living out of third parties for insurance claims and the rest of us all have to pay extra premiums because of the high cost of litigation - yes, some lawyers etc make a killing wherever possible.

I had no trouble from my household policy (one insignificant claim about sixteen years ago) but the car insurance company were rather different.

The pay out did not really even cover the recent new tyres, the MOT (done before the old one expired, so was not even 'in force' at the time) and the comprehensive service not so many miles previous to the fire (in preparation for the MOT). It is incidentals like that, which are ignored by the insurance claims on motor policies, which put one more 'out of pocket'.

Winker has my sympathy. I eventually put mine down to one of two things - either a simple electrical fault in the car wiring or my smoker lighter valve went faulty and did not shut off positively. The other possibility of a spark into the smoker fuel was unlikely, but could have occurred, as I always take the wind direction into account and never light my smoker close to the car.

There is a subtle difference between those of us that only claim when they must and those that don't take adequate precautions 'because they are insured'.

RAB is right, your always out of pocket with car insurance companies. Some little prat smashed into the back of my old mans Audi A3 last month (whilst parked!). Although an old car had just had MOT and was immaculate. Because it was a P reg (96) they gave him £900 (the book value). The car was easily worth £3000 in the condition it was in. Then comes the higher premium eventhough it was not his fault.

On another note, I believe the car to be a Vauxhall Vectra 5d, silver & 3.2?

Last edited:
Hope you don't end up out of pocket. Best of luck with the insurers

Unfortunately there are some that try to make a living out of third parties for insurance claims and the rest of us all have to pay extra premiums because of the high cost of litigation - yes, some lawyers etc make a killing wherever possible.

QUOTE]

Or to put it another way, there are some who make a living by helping put people who have a problem on an even footing with the insurance companies, the banks, the police, the demanding ex-spouse. Who would you turn to for help if you had a problem involving the authorities or the courts, your MP, a member of the Press, the local vicar?

In the main lawyers are a damn sight more honest and helpful than politicians or journalists, and more effective than the clergy.

And would you so sneeringly say of doctors that they make a killing (possibly the wrong word in the circumstances) out of people's ill health, and garage mechanics out of people's broken down cars.

A good many jobs involve making money out of something that's gone wrong for someone. Just be grateful that help is available.

RAB is right, your always out of pocket with car insurance companies. Some little prat smashed into the back of my old mans Audi A3 last month (whilst parked!). Although an old car had just had MOT and was immaculate. Because it was a P reg (96) they gave him £900 (the book value). The car was easily worth £3000 in the condition it was in. Then comes the higher premium eventhough it was not his fault.

QUOTE]

If the little prat was traced, your dad'll not lose his no-claim bonus. The insurers will recover their outlay from said prat's insurers. If he had an excess deducted from the payout, he can recover that by writing to the prat's insurers, or by issung proceedings in the small claims track.

You should never accept the first payment. They will always try to cheat you. Kick up a stink and they always offer more.

Winker,
Glad to see you are ok. For sure it must have been heart breaking, frustrating, and surreal all at the same time. Did anyone else see and call for help? What was the car by the way...many of us just cannot tell from the few remaining pieces of debris?

My wife burnt a hole through the passenger door lining of my car when she leant the smoker head against it as we drove home. Now it is emptied and left under a small table at the hives.
All the best,
Sam

Some little prat smashed into the back of my old mans Audi A3 last month (whilst parked!). Although an old car had just had MOT and was immaculate. Because it was a P reg (96) they gave him £900 (the book value). The car was easily worth £3000 in the condition it was in. Then comes the higher premium even though it was not his fault.
You don't have to accept the first offer. Produce recent bills, evidence that mileage was under the average, comparable local sales etc when you make a counter demand. The company will usually increase the offer rather than get involved with legal proceedings. If the car is drivable (clearly not in Winker's case) and the insurer has declared it is 'beyond economic repair' you can ask for a cash offer to get it repaired privately and source replacement doors etc from dismantlers.

Back