B&Q Timber Pricing...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Just been to B&Q... I can buy 2 bits of ply at nearly £18 each or a big sheet 4 times the size for £26..!!!!!!!!! So if I buy a big sheet, get them to cut the two bits off that I want and leave the rest there I'm still £10 better off..

or go back tomorrow and have the leftover bit cut to nuc size bits.....

Or go to the builders merchant and get some timber from them normally cheaper, they also cut it to size for me not just 1 cut but all the cuts so saved me having to cut 8 new crown boards.

Also B&Q WBP plywood falls apart in no time.

Or go to the builders merchant and get some timber from them normally cheaper, they also cut it to size for me not just 1 cut but all the cuts so saved me having to cut 8 new crown boards.
B&Q in Norwich used to charge for cutting but all free now...

Also B&Q WBP plywood falls apart in no time.

B&Q WBP is utter crap .It de-laminates whilst you watch! It's only 3 ply until you get to the larger thicknesses , sanding it by hand causes bits to come off !
Trying to buy a piece that isn't warped is a challenge !
Leave well alone it isn't fit for firewood :smilielol5:

John Wilkinson

When I bought the timber for my TBH's over a year ago B&Q were the most expensive, after shopping round I bought 20m from covers saved £20 and they cut it up into 1m lengths free of charge and they selected the best of what they had so no warps or twists in it.

When I bought the timber for my TBH's over a year ago B&Q were the most expensive, after shopping round I bought 20m from covers saved £20 and they cut it up into 1m lengths free of charge and they selected the best of what they had so no warps or twists in it.

I suspect the type you bought was much thicker than the type I'm talking about!

John Wilkinson

i use a firm called "builder depot" their WBP ply is better than Bad & Questionable, as it is less likley to warp or delaminate

I purchased for a project in bulk 10 sheets of 2.4M x 1.2M 18mm @13.79 inc Vat per sheets (£137.90 total

Loik wot Hedgerow says... you only gets wot u pays for.... B&Q sells a lot of nasty stuff.... but rarely sells a bargain!

Find a local timber merchant and make a poit of using them. My old one used to give me a discount of 15% and my new one does too. Far better selection of timber too.

PH

Latest posts

Back