Asian hornets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stenibee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The Government is warning Britons about a swarm of killer hornets from China that are a threat to the UK's fragile honey bee population.

The deadly bees can eat up to 50 honey bees a day and are capable of wiping out their bee hives.

Now, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) is drafting plans to combat the threat of the Asian hornet, International Business Times reports.

The insects have already spread as far as France, where six people died from anaphylactic shock after being stung.

Ministers fear the deadly insects could cross the channel from Europe this summer and warm weather in southern parts of the UK could provide the conditions they need to survive.

In a House of Commons report last month, ministers drafted "rapid response" plans and "contingency plans for the arrival of the Asian hornet" in Britain.

The Daily Mail reports that people have been warned not to approach their nests but to contact authorities. Exterminators will then destroy the nests with chemicals or by burning them.

Last September it was reported that their arrival in Britain was predicted by Franck Muller of the Museum of National History in Paris back in February 2011, when he told the Daily Telegraph they would cross into Britain within "three to four years".

The deadly hornets are just one of hundreds of alien species invading the UK. In April, we reported on the threats non-native species pose to our native plants and wildlife.

This has never been mentioned before...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Government is warning Britons about a swarm of killer hornets from China that are a threat to the UK's fragile honey bee population.

The deadly bees can eat up to 50 honey bees a day and are capable of wiping out their bee hives.

Now, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) is drafting plans to combat the threat of the Asian hornet, International Business Times reports.

The insects have already spread as far as France, where six people died from anaphylactic shock after being stung.

Ministers fear the deadly insects could cross the channel from Europe this summer and warm weather in southern parts of the UK could provide the conditions they need to survive.

In a House of Commons report last month, ministers drafted "rapid response" plans and "contingency plans for the arrival of the Asian hornet" in Britain.

The Daily Mail reports that people have been warned not to approach their nests but to contact authorities. Exterminators will then destroy the nests with chemicals or by burning them.

Last September it was reported that their arrival in Britain was predicted by Franck Muller of the Museum of National History in Paris back in February 2011, when he told the Daily Telegraph they would cross into Britain within "three to four years".

The deadly hornets are just one of hundreds of alien species invading the UK. In April, we reported on the threats non-native species pose to our native plants and wildlife.

This daily mail report has been talked about on here before. It is typical rubbish reporting by them.

The Asian hornet is now on North coast of France and is capable of flying the channel. DEFRA must be contacted if this insect seen. But I don't think any nests here yet..
Never mind 50 bees a day, a colony of Asian hornets will wipe out your hive, according to BBKA info. Hornet traps ready.
But article did have the Daily Mail 'we're all doomed' drama to it.

" The insects have already spread as far as France, where six people died from anaphylactic shock after being stung".

How many died of european hornet? Or even bees.. Even in our small country I believe we got such or near numbers by the common european hornet or the bees..
Like they got inspiration for writting from "Monty Python Flying Circus"..

where on the north coast of france,and who said so this is news to me.

One more time from the horses mouth. I have had Asian Hornets here since 2006 and have never found them to be more than a minor irritation.

Could they cause the demise of a colony without additional factors?

Well, maybe if there was a large nest nearby and they were concentrated on one or two hives and the bee keeper had their head up their backside.

My question is, are bee keepers especially neurotic or is this limited to members of the BBKA?

Chris

One more time from the horses mouth. I have had Asian Hornets here since 2006 and have never found them to be more than a minor irritation.

Could they cause the demise of a colony without additional factors?

Well, maybe if there was a large nest nearby and they were concentrated on one or two hives and the bee keeper had their head up their backside.

My question is, are bee keepers especially neurotic or is this limited to members of the BBKA?

Chris

:iagree: Further more even with the mild winter I have not seen a single hornet, Asian or European, this year (so far)

For those not sure what an Asian hornet looks like my avatar is a good picture of one:paparazzi:

Same here. Plenty of Asian hornets. Annoyance but no more so than wasps fir example. Maybe I've been lucky.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Looks like Sky news is about to do a feature on them ( morning Sat 10/5/14 ) .
I would think all that will do is cause carnage among the rest of the insect population as Joe public kill anything which flies .

I've finally seen three European Hornet Queens this last few days and one Common wasp Queen. It's really grim already without more scare stories decimating our precious native hornet and wasp populations.

Chris

Last edited:
Back