Asian Hornet in my garden? Identification please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natureboy44

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
These insects keep coming daily to strip the fences right near my beehive presumably to take back material to build a nest. I have not seen these before in the garden and I wanted to make sure they weren't the dreaded Asian Hornet as they are very different to the European Hornets and wasps, they are bigger than a wasp probably double the width and much chunkier with very different wings but they look a lot smaller than the European Hornets and with no orange but look hornet in appearance.

Can somebody please identify.

Video link below excuse the jittery footage

https://youtu.be/-HlV1rtn36k

Last edited:
Queen wasp. You can find the asian hornet identification tips online.

Thank you, I didn't even consider a queen wasp would be out gathering material still now for a nest are they not usually up and running by now and getting workers to do this?

Dolichovespula media queen. Might not be a bad idea to treat the timber with solvent based wood preserver e.g. cuprinol, otherwise in three weeks time you'll have a lot of damage. Also she is a mid level nester typically eye level in shrubs and hedges so wise to be careful when pruning later in the year. Occasionally get heavily stung victims having unsuspectingly ploughed through a nest with a hedge trimmer!

I regularly have many queen wasps on my cotoneaster. I think today I counted 9 on one bush. So the likelihood is that I will have a fair few nests around. The wasps are fond of the potting shed door. The whole shed is still there and showing no signs of falling down so far.

:Iagree: with our little ray of sunshine here.
Last year we lost a whole cricket pavillion to a queen wasp and she started devouring the giant redwood we had growing in the town park

Crikey! That's a first - sure you're feeling ok JBM?
I have a good haul of queen wasps in my AH traps - but no AHs fortunately.

Latest posts

Back