Asian Hornet - Update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read this a while ago which suggests that the population of the hornet is severely lacking in genetic diversity resulting in the early production of diploid drones which hinders the colony development.

In bees diploid drones aren't viable, I assume it is the same in hornets? If not I'm sure someone will tell me. I'm not sure if the hornets eat them like bees do.

Have you seen anything to suggest inbreeding is causing the hornets issues?

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0136680

this similar article to your link suggest they reach adulthood as diploid male adult hornets were caughtand also unpublished reference to triploid males ( queen mated with diploid drone)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4586377/

Last edited:
I heard at the National Honey show that current thinking is that the English find wasn't actually from French stock as first thought.

Not good for diversity and inbreeding if proven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard at the National Honey show that current thinking is that the English find wasn't actually from French stock as first thought.

Not good for diversity and inbreeding if proven.

Interesting, where did that come from?? How did the verified genetics test we've been told was done, suddenly change to not from the french stock after all?? I cant get my head around that?
If so, where did it come from? Another import?

Another import?

Apparently it is another much more deadly (to honey bees) sub species of Asian Hornet that has been living undetected (until now) in the caves of the Cheddar Gorge since the end of the last ice age... (which we are still in)

Apparently it is another much more deadly (to honey bees) sub species of Asian Hornet that has been living undetected (until now) in the caves of the Cheddar Gorge since the end of the last ice age... (which we are still in)

oh, .....of Course. I was forgetting!! Sorry, how stupid of me!!!:icon_204-2:

Interesting, where did that come from?? How did the verified genetics test we've been told was done, suddenly change to not from the french stock after all?? I cant get my head around that?

If so, where did it come from? Another import?

I think it wiser not to be specific on the source.

The initial genetics was, I was told, a preliminary view with details being found to be different.

There is a wood importer near the site which my be relevant.

I think it wiser not to be specific on the source.

The initial genetics was, I was told, a preliminary view with details being found to be different.

There is a wood importer near the site which my be relevant.

Is this the wood importer who imports French oak ?

In which case, it was blinking good job it was destroyed. Eventually those genetics could have fount themselves back across the channel and bolstered the weak line here, so good news all around.
Wood imports would be exactly the kind of thing. Large containers, it must be a nightmare for plant health inspectors at the ports etc to have any hope of finding hitchhikers.
I wonder if there is any specific treatment to a shipment, if from a known origin of possible spread of non native insects!(which most are)!

Have i missed something ?

I look at this thread fairly regularly and something has come up.

I have checked Beebase and the BBKA website but haven't found anything new.

A recent report of a Regional Bee Inspector (2016) says that in 2017 the NBU will be advising beekeepers to place hornet traps in Spring and Autumn. Is this news ?

I think I will start collecting empty 2l pop and cider bottles and rout out my 7mm drill bit.

I will not put any spring traps out....at all
I am uneasy with the collateral damage
We don't have the hornet in my neck of the woods.
When we do I will review the situation.

I will not put any spring traps out....at all
I am uneasy with the collateral damage
We don't have the hornet in my neck of the woods.
When we do I will review the situation.

The hornet traps shown on the NBU website appear to me to be sentinel traps - not intended to kill, just to capture.

If what you're looking for (Asian Hornet) is not in the trap, any other captures, which have not escaped via the holes for that purpose, can be released. If I were doing the releasing, I think I'd wear a beesuit!

Provided that the traps are monitored frequently, there should be no collateral damage. The thing is, this year the Asian Hornets turned up in Gloucestershire; next year it could be Ceredigion!

Plenty of Honey uses a different type of trap that is intended to kill the Asian Hornets that ARE in his apiaries. I believe there may be some collateral damage (to European Hornets) with those traps.

CVB

The hornet traps shown on the NBU website appear to me to be sentinel traps - not intended to kill, just to capture.

Plenty of Honey uses a different type of trap that is intended to kill the Asian Hornets that ARE in his apiaries. I believe there may be some collateral damage (to European Hornets) with those traps.

CVB

Correct, some collateral damage, but we limit it. Trap early, as Asian queens fly a good month before the Common ones do.
But.. we get a few wax moth, obviously a few Common hornet queens and blue bottles. Probably not a bad thing (flies and moths), although they would be food for something else!! Its becoming apparent that there is no ideal solution.
we just have to go with the traps, knowing its the lesser of two evils. I have no doubt that after a few nests start to appear everyone will be trapping in the uk, for the moment, "Ericahalfbee" is totally correct in her aproach. There is no need to panic and blanket trap with non selective traps, in areas with no known infestation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back