Asian Hornet - Update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've worked there in the winter, if they can live out the winter there here is a breeze.

It's not simply about 'temperature'.

Harsh winters will aid all hibernating wasp species.

Asian hornet is a baby comparing to us beeks.. I am not in fear of it .
Not rarely beeks themselves deliberately spread AFB over here.. believe it or not.. But we are all " humans".. Maybe to start calling us beasts is more appropriate..

Just so you can see, this is what you can achieve by the autumn trapping of queens. Its still relatively warm here, 15 to 17 degrees.
This is a beekeeper in the Loire on a french beekeeping forum. this is just two days trapping from one trap. I reckon he's got more than two nests near by, even though he's only found one nest so far. Its in the trees and just visible in the pic. Clearly shows just how difficult and well hidden they are!
And, they are all Asians, every single one. Not a common hornet amongst them.
As a matter of interest he has a 7 mm hole drilled in to the inner funnel cap, so he's only trapped hornets. I think its also fair to say that theres just loads of queens emerged all at the same time, so he's just mopping them up!!

.http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/at...ent.php?attachmentid=13738&stc=1&d=1479323550

Attachments

• IMG_4289.jpg
    IMG_4289.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4291.JPG
    IMG_4291.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4290.JPG
    IMG_4290.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Interesting about the 7mm hole which I had read the hornets wouldn't use.
Just shows how hungry they must be when the nest matures.
What a haul!

Interesting about the 7mm hole which I had read the hornets wouldn't use.
Just shows how hungry they must be when the nest matures.
What a haul!

I hope when we get it that my fellow beeks don't start boasting about their hornet haul :)

Here is a study showing they'll be quite happy in the Netherlands. It also points out they'll not need to bring their winter coats to the UK either.

I hope to f*ck they die if they land here, but we all know beekeepers aren't that lucky.

http://www.nev.nl/pages/publicaties/proceedings/nummers/22/39-46.pdf

Climex is limited in its modelling because it fails to take into account topography which has a massive bearing on sustainability. The Netherlands being largely water logged provides a better habitat for velutina than the UK save that it doesn't have much in the way of woodland so for velutina to establish itself in the Netherlands it would have to adapt and become urbanised.

Can surgical spirit be used to preserve dead hornets?

Just dessicate them and that should work.

even though they have previously stored in Alcohol?

even though they have previously stored in Alcohol?

I've never had any problems. Just one tip though. If you dessicate them they will not be pliable. So if you want to present them for example mounted on a board, it's a good idea to posture them whilst still wet and then allow them to dessicate in final situ.

At my uni while we were making insectariums, if not protected with some repelent in box they were drilled by other insect's larvae.
I wasn't in situation to afford entomological needles, so with some pins was real challenge to " prepare" insects. For some specimens I used to spend about 20-25 needles to get perfect..
It shouldn't be problem to place hornet in pose. Butterflies were challenge for me.. But not to wait too long after termination, it would break..

Just a little counselling post something that happened recently.

If you are looking to import samples of velutina into the UK for educational reasons, please ensure that they are actually dead. Hibernating queens do not die if exposured to freezing temperatures. The last thing the UK needs is samples of live hibernating queens being imported!!!

Latest posts

Back