Asian hornets in the UK. A chance of stopping them?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how long it will be before an eco-terrorist or just some stupid prat goes out looking for some Asian Hornets in Europe just to bring them back and release them deliberately. You might think 'why would they?' but people deliberately light fires in drought condiditions because it's "a bit of a laugh".

I wonder how long it will be before an eco-terrorist or just some stupid prat goes out looking for some Asian Hornets in Europe just to bring them back and release them deliberately. You might think 'why would they?' but people deliberately light fires in drought condiditions because it's "a bit of a laugh".

Loads of foreign insects imported annually... some get here on their own!!

was in Lisbon this weekend ...

Actually was chatting to a beekeeper at a farmers market in Lisbon this weekend and asked him about his season ...he said his big problem was this and proceeded to whip out an Asian Hornet

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6cPuzo13DQVrbX7QA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RejC2xU6YtGxZnH49

First time I had actually seen one and so being in the sunny south I wonder how long before I have the same concerned look as he has.

Yours worried

Actually was chatting to a beekeeper at a farmers market in Lisbon this weekend and asked him about his season ...he said his big problem was this and proceeded to whip out an Asian Hornet

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6cPuzo13DQVrbX7QA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RejC2xU6YtGxZnH49

First time I had actually seen one and so being in the sunny south I wonder how long before I have the same concerned look as he has.

Yours worried

JBM is right. That’s a European hornet
Not a mistake for a beekeeper to make.
I think your Lisbon beekeeper was having a joke with you.

Really?never seen an European hornet before?
wait until you seen an Asian one - smaller but apart from the third segment of the thorax, all black and ominous looking

Ah no ... tbh I havent seen either .... I was fixated by the length of the stingers !!

... but the lisbon beekeeper seemed worried all the same ... maybe he keeps that one as it looks bigger and scarier !

Ah no ... tbh I havent seen either .... I was fixated by the length of the stingers !!

... but the lisbon beekeeper seemed worried all the same ... maybe he keeps that one as it looks bigger and scarier !

Does your local BKA participate in the NBU disease days? They are really worth it. You get a look at diseased frames too.

Does your local BKA participate in the NBU disease days? They are really worth it. You get a look at diseased frames too.

Been to one of these disease days a couple of months ago. The information is really useful and was a great day.

When we were shown all the diseased frames in the lab it was something you won't forget and gives you a real taste of what to look out for.

Certainly won't forget the smell either.

We all got to see a real asian hornet as well, albeit a little sleepy :D

Here’s one having a radio tracker stuck on it

Attachments

• F3C1D50D-0FA7-4051-8186-915F58586830.jpeg
    F3C1D50D-0FA7-4051-8186-915F58586830.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 74
JBM is right. That’s a European hornet
Not a mistake for a beekeeper to make.
I think your Lisbon beekeeper was having a joke with you.

I wouldn't be surprised if the beekeeper was serious, the amount of mis information in PT is incredible. It is the first year for Velutina in Lisbon.

Brighton & Lewes are holding a disease day in April. 3 bee inspectors teaching.
Going to be so informative as I personally have never witnessed EFB or AFB frames and they will have samples there. Using an insect proof room and lots of disposal equipment to be binned after any handling so very safe. Also samples of AH but seen those. (Great speaker from Jersey where they are battling to control the AH)
After Dec 31st we are opening the invitation to other Divisions in our local Assoc, but numbers limited.

First Asian Hornet Queen this year spotted flying in Jersey. Think going to be a tricky year for the UK.

First Asian Hornet Queen this year spotted flying in Jersey. Think going to be a tricky year for the UK.

Was it flying or hibernating?
Jersey’s AH Facebook page has a warning to look out for hibernating queens accompanying a picture of a queen somebody reported.

Brighton & Lewes are holding a disease day in April. 3 bee inspectors teaching.
Going to be so informative as I personally have never witnessed EFB or AFB frames and they will have samples there. Using an insect proof room and lots of disposal equipment to be binned after any handling so very safe. Also samples of AH but seen those. (Great speaker from Jersey where they are battling to control the AH)
After Dec 31st we are opening the invitation to other Divisions in our local Assoc, but numbers limited.

I hope " binning" means incineration and not disposing of by 'normal' means.

Will be binned into black bag, which I will put into a second black bag before I bring home to burn. Plus I have a cardboard box to put those bags into before it goes in my car. My bees will be safe. :rules:

And A Hornet, they didn't say.. just had the message from my Jersey contact, but have many nests there anyway, but he wanted us to be aware they are active already.

Last edited:
They like Camellia bushes apparently. They start flowering in Feb round here.

AH in Jersey was disturbed from hibernation..but we must expect some here this year. Am setting up Trappit traps. With prawns in them in August!!!

May I ask what all your Assoc/Div across the country are doing to inform Joe Public about this incoming AH?

Do you have AHAT teams starting up and what action are they specifically taking?

We are distributing posters where possible, - libraries, garden centres etc but may be missing an important outlet.

May I ask what all your Assoc/Div across the country are doing to inform Joe Public about this incoming AH?

Do you have AHAT teams starting up and what action are they specifically taking?

We are distributing posters where possible, - libraries, garden centres etc but may be missing an important outlet.

doesn't appear that many on here do anything for the AHAT, it a bit like that in my area

one BKA had not read the AHAT email/memo so had done nothing, other had appointed a small team of two or three but only put the AHAT lead on the er2 soonly they appeared on the map, co

confusion whether the 15 AHAT members required, is per BKA or per County(area association), so BKA with 50 members have 15 and some federations have 3 per BKA (15 in total in feel) and for my sins i am on two AHAT, my own BKA and on the helping the BKA who did not read the memo in order to get them up to speed so i appear twice on the BBKA map :rules:

poster etc, garden centre but not libraries, Uni of 3rd Age gardening groups, allotments and supermarket notice boards

As the AHAT for Heather's association, I can say we've posters and ID cards which we've distributed, a regular column in our newsletter which reports on the latest news and encourages members to inform friends and family about V. velutina, and to use the Asian Hornet app on their mobile devices.

We also have a team dedicated to spreading the word.

Latest posts

Back