Asian hornets in the UK. A chance of stopping them?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updated recipe...with pictures

10 teaspoons white sugar
1 egg yolk
10 drops of Frontline (Fipronil) 0.25% w/v fipronil

Mix sugar into egg yolk and mix well, it should be a very sticky mixture.

Add 2 teaspoons of mixture to a small receptacle add 10 drops of Frontline (Fipronil) and stir well. Mixture is effective for 6 hours.

Catch Asian hornet with an Executioner Pro, better to use rechargable batteries 2.4v instead of 3v as you need a slight stun. You have approx 10 seconds before the hornet comes round, apply custard to Asian hornet thorax with a small stick preferably away from beehives and let it fly off straight away. No need to touch the hornet at all. It flies directly back to the nest 3-6 hours the hornet dies, depends on how many other hornets it feeds. Ideal if you can catch 10 hornets for maximum effect.

Discard receptacal and application stick carefully

Hi,

Just so I understand. You zap them on the execution and the wasp hangs on it to dazed and you just dap the treatment straight onto it with having to move it?

Last edited:
Also where do I find fipronil? I've googled it and is it the Frontline solution or a neat tub of the stuff?

From what i have been reading you want frontline plus, (Think that is what mazzamazda was using) it has fipronil for the adult insects and (S)-methoprene that kills the eggs and larvae, its what quite a few Australian bee keepers have been using to kill wasps. and what is the basic formula that the NZ government is using in Vespex.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/pests-and-threats/animal-pests/wasps/

You can get in in packs for treating cats and dogs for lice and ticks: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=fipronil

Indeed you can but my confusion here is Mazza's recipe calls for 0.25% wv Fipronil. Now not being blessed with a chemical exam to my name, I'm thinking, if I'm going to go round (in the fullness of time) tazering AH's with an electronic tennis raquet, I do need to know the yellow gunge I'll be pasting on to them is going to do the job.

Are these flea and tick treatments up to the job for use in Mazza's recipe?

Awesome thanks

From what i have been reading you want frontline plus, (Think that is what mazzamazda was using) it has fipronil for the adult insects and (S)-methoprene that kills the eggs and larvae, its what quite a few Australian bee keepers have been using to kill wasps. and what is the basic formula that the NZ government is using in Vespex.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/pests-and-threats/animal-pests/wasps/

I think Frontline plus is too strong from memory, you need the hornets to die from 2-4 hours, longer is ideal as they can feed other hornets. This is the stuff I use. https://loja.arcadenoe.pt/pt/frontline-spray?gclid=Cj0KCQjwof3cBRD9ARIsAP8x70NO87kcFwxf5Z0UUWI6bLnazCIdLcgnXpBur5esHtFNmInie1idaIoaAtcWEALw_wcB#1

I am closing this thread as it promotes the use of unlicensed drugs in beekeeping.

Last edited:
After taking advice I have opened this thread again.
Please note the following:

1.The forum does not endorse the Mazzamazda method.

2 The forum considers the use of the Mazzamazda method for any species other than Vespa velutina irresponsible and will censor any future posts to that effect.

3. The thread has been re-opened specifically for international consumption where there are overwhelming infestations of Vespa velutina.

4. Individuals are advised to check the legality of using the Mazzamazda method in their territory and the forum assumes no responsibility for such use.

Admin.

Looks like Ficam will be licensed for treating VV. Only downside is that it'll be illegal to use Ficam outdoors. That'll make controlling VV incursions interesting.

Looks like Ficam will be licensed for treating VV. Only downside is that it'll be illegal to use Ficam outdoors. That'll make controlling VV incursions interesting.

D'oh

I have a problem with the pictures. Not an Asian hornet in sight!! Big difference between Asian and European!!!

I believe Mazzamazda is still virtually VV free after his treatment.

I believe Mazzamazda is still virtually VV free after his treatment.

Yes it is certainly very different from 2014, I dont indiscriminately spring trap like others do. I still have hornets but it is a breeze now. I know other beekeepers who trap and have arpas out and are still inundated.

Hi Mark
Just shows local control is worth it
I don't suppose Velutina forages that far
Am I right?

I think Jersey beekeepers are up to their 40 odd nest
They are finding them on the ground and in rock crevices on the beach.
Pretty bad luck disturbing them...................

Hi Mark
Just shows local control is worth it
I don't suppose Velutina forages that far
Am I right?

I think Jersey beekeepers are up to their 40 odd nest
They are finding them on the ground and in rock crevices on the beach.
Pretty bad luck disturbing them...................

Yes definitely, it is easier every year. Karol will come in I'm sure but I think he said the nests will be less than 500m away, I know one of mine was 100m last year. Flight time is 50 mins I believe before refuelling. I think Jersey enjoy the work, it is still fairly new and they have the resources, we don't.

Tiago the guy who works for me discovered a nest last year in the ground on his neighbours land, he showed his neighbour, they both got stung, his neighbour died a few days later in hospital, these are really not to be messed with.

Any seen any confirmed sightings reported this season?

Any seen any confirmed sightings reported this season?

There was a bit of a stir on Facebook yesterday when a chap posted a photo of aN AH that his mate who lives in Frome snapped. It took half of a longish thread with multiple references to the AH and DEFRA and SBIs etc etc before the aforementioned OP actually contacted his friend and discovered he was on holiday in France.
Sorry but it made me laugh

Latest posts

Back