Asian Hornet - Update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to say its better to spring trap then kill off the rest with the slow release poison. I'm having a HELL of a job eradicating the nests completely. I must have around 20 nests in the apiary vicinity, meaning I have to catch around 600 hornets per apiary. I'm currently at a manageable level with 15-20 hornets per apiary. Thats fine when you have 40 hives per apiary, I'm wondering if its even worth it. With around 1-5 hives, the bees would be in real trouble and getting rid of them is VERY VERY labour intensive.

:iagree: the work involved is huge, if we can be reasonable selective when trapping in the spring, i still believe this is a viable and worthwhile option.

I also agree with Hivemakers Comment. Its the smaller number hive owners who are going to be able to help most, as their most frequent the "foot soldiers" on the ground, as Karol said.
However i also think Millet had a point, we may still be lulled in to a false sense of security that the initial nest was taken out, now a possible a second is perhaps around.
Dont forget , the general public, with the greatness respect, couldn't tell the difference between a Hornet and a Bumble bee let alone an Asian Hornet. Unfortunately we dont have beekeepers everywhere.

There is likely to be nest, undiscovered. If not now, it will be next year.

Last edited:
Wait until queens are spawned in spring and leave them until they have established nests, then treat the workers with a dab of poison to kill off the nests and prevent there being any queens the following spring...hopefully... this is what you are suggesting, isn't it?

The situation in the UK is different to that in France. At the moment we do not have an established problem and there is a real danger that knee jerk reaction spring trapping will be deployed universally around the country to potentially catastrophic effect. If you want farmers, allotment holders and all and sundry spraying everything in sight to get on top of the rebound pest problem that will ensue then go for it but don't complain if honeybees get massacred in the pesticide cross fire.

Doesn't it strike you as a little bit strange that as a wasp trap salesman I'm not hyping up the threat from velutina to increase sales????

Quite simply spring trapping in the UK is not warranted at the moment. And no, I'm not suggesting that we wait until velutina becomes established. Quite the opposite. I just believe that in the UK the catch, treat and release method together with the actions taken by the NBU in response to surveillance will be enough to contain the problem.

I don't remember which of our friends across the channel talked about spring trapping to reduce numbers and then mopping up with long acting pesticide but essentially in the UK we are at the mopping up the incidental landfalls stage that doesn't require spring trapping.

I appreciate the comments made by Mazzamazda about the labour intensiveness of the catch, treat and release method but in part I think that that's down to two things. The arbitrary nature of the treatment post electric stun which may mean that only a proportion of the hornets treated make it back to their nests and secondly, that the application of Fipronil is limited in it's migration within the nest. Use of a laced wet sugar paste would encourage wider circulation of the Fipronil in the nest and potentially allow a greater dose to be applied to the hornet without it succumbing to quickly. Importantly, the paste has to be daubed on the back of the thorax and upper abdomen.

We are only at the beginning of October. The wasp season this year is very late and is likely to run through until December. There's still 8 weeks worth of surveillance to be done to look for evidence of Asian hornets hawking around bee hives. As the season progresses so the availability of carbohydrate sources will diminish and there will be greater pressure on hives as one of the last remaining sources. If we don't see any more Asian hornets bothering hives by December then there isn't the justification for spring trapping.

If, however, there is evidence of Asian hornets sweet feeding around hives come early December, then that will be a different story as it will mean that most likely there will have been Asian queens released in the area. That being the case then there will be justification for spring trapping within the affected location.

Last edited:
The situation in the UK is different to that in France. At the moment we do not have an established problem and there is a real danger that knee jerk reaction spring trapping will be deployed universally around the country to potentially catastrophic effect. If you want farmers, allotment holders and all and sundry spraying everything in sight to get on top of the rebound pest problem that will ensue then go for it but don't complain if honeybees get massacred in the pesticide cross fire.

Doesn't it strike you as a little bit strange that as a wasp trap salesman I'm not hyping up the threat from velutina to increase sales????

Quite simply spring trapping in the UK is not warranted at the moment. And no, I'm not suggesting that we wait until velutina becomes established. Quite the opposite. I just believe that in the UK the catch, treat and release method together with the actions taken by the BNU in response to surveillance will be enough to contain the problem.

I don't remember which of our friends across the channel talked about spring trapping to reduce numbers and then mopping up with long acting pesticide but essentially in the UK we are at the mopping up the incidental landfalls stage that doesn't require spring trapping.

I appreciate the comments made by Mazzamazda about the labour intensiveness of the catch, treat and release method but in part I think that that's down to two things. The arbitrary nature of the treatment post electric stun which may mean that only a proportion of the hornets treated make it back to their nests and secondly, that the application of Fipronil is limited in it's migration within the nest. Use of a laced wet sugar paste would encourage wider circulation of the Fipronil in the nest and potentially allow a greater dose to be applied to the hornet without it succumbing to quickly. Importantly, the paste has to be daubed on the back of the thorax and upper abdomen.

We are only at the beginning of October. The wasp season this year is very late and is likely to run through until December. There's still 8 weeks worth of surveillance to be done to look for evidence of Asian hornets hawking around bee hives. As the season progresses so the availability of carbohydrate sources will diminish and there will be greater pressure on hives as one of the last remaining sources. If we don't see any more Asian hornets bothering hives by December then there isn't the justification for spring trapping.

If, however, there is evidence of Asian hornets sweet feeding around hives come early December, then that will be a different story as it will mean that most likely there will have been Asian queens released in the area. That being the case then there will be justification for spring trapping within the affected location.

A well argued and sensible response Karol.
I am to understand that the NBU are suggesting the setting of traps now? I am going to have to confiscate the keys to the booze cupboard to keep SWMBO out!!

Last edited:
A well argued and sensible response Karol.
I am to understand that the NBU are suggesting the setting of traps now? I am going to have to confiscate the keys to the booze cupboard to keep SWMBO out!!

Setting of traps now is good. It has little if any effect on wasp and crabro queens. It will extend the surveillance for Asian workers (assuming they are attracted to the bait) and may give an indication of a potential problem in a specific location.

That being the case then there will be justification for spring trapping within the affected location.

That will be down to the NBU then, as they are keeping the actual locations a secret.

:iagree: the work involved is huge, if we can be reasonable selective when trapping in the spring, i still believe this is a viable and worthwhile option.
<snip>
QUOTE]

It all comes down to how selective the traps are. My concern, from many years in this field, is that non selective traps will be used.

It all comes down to how selective the traps are. My concern, from many years in this field, is that non selective traps will be used.

You can see how selective they are by looking at the NBU advice for making a trap from a plastic bottle containing fish, strawberry jam, booze, etc.

...and.........
This sheet explains how to make an Asian hornet trap. Hanging this simple device in your apiary will allow you to monitor for pest arrival and, if necessary, help to protect your colonies from attack. These are especially effective if used in spring.
Reports from France suggest that in areas where spring trapping has been used, subsequent numbers of Asian hornet nests are reduced by as much as 90% (2 or 3 nests in trapping areas versus >70 nests where no traps have been hung). All that is required is a couple of pop bottles, a bit of plastic coated garden wire and a 100mm square off-cut of epoxy coated wire Varroa floor mesh. Look for pop or fizzy water bottles which have ridged sides with the bottom section marginally wider than the middle. Make an incision with a sharp knife and cut each side of the lower ridge with scissors – this will give a sleeve effect with the middle of the bottle free to slide into

Karol

The advice being given to beekeepers who are registered on Beebase is to put out traps now. More exactly. the NBU is saying:

Husbandry Advice:

It is very important that beekeepers remain vigilant and monitor their apiaries and surrounding forage for any Asian hornet activity. At this time of the year, Asian hornets can be seen foraging on the ivy for nectar and preying on other foraging insects for protein.

Traps should also be hung out and closely monitored. When using bait, please refrain from using light beer or lager mixed with sugar as this does not work. In France a Dark beer, mixed with 25ml of strawberry syrup and 25ml of orange liqueur has proven to work well.

Additionally, a protein bait of mashed fish e.g. prawns or trout, diluted to 25% has also proven effective. Anyone wishing to make their own traps may find the following factsheet useful: How to make a homemade Asian hornet monitoring trap.

It seems to me that you should be talking to the NBU rather than our forum. Everybody on the forum is a beekeeper but not all beekeepers are on the forum. Between now and the spring, the NBU needs to get all it ducks lined up in the same, preferably right, direction and expert knowledge and advice may well be needed from all quarters.

CVB

Quite simply spring trapping in the UK is not warranted at the moment. And no, I'm not suggesting that we wait until velutina becomes established.

I agree!

Quite the opposite. I just believe that in the UK the catch, treat and release method together with the actions taken by the NBU in response to surveillance will be enough to contain the problem.

I disagree!

I appreciate the comments made by Mazzamazda about the labour intensiveness of the catch, treat and release method but in part I think that that's down to two things. The arbitrary nature of the treatment post electric stun which may mean that only a proportion of the hornets treated make it back to their nests

I'm now pretty sure I have the catch, treat and release down to a fine art but the sheer number of nests and hornets are quite overwhelming, its a massive problem here.

and secondly, that the application of Fipronil is limited in it's migration within the nest. Use of a laced wet sugar paste would encourage wider circulation of the Fipronil in the nest and potentially allow a greater dose to be applied to the hornet without it succumbing to quickly. Importantly, the paste has to be daubed on the back of the thorax and upper abdomen.

I'm terrified of any of this stuff dropping off and getting in my hives, I take on board what you are saying but my hives are needing food, if they pick up a little amount of Fipronil its game over.

The Asians here are already getting a sweet tooth, it was 25o here today, I suspect the queens will be released sooner this year.

I think the queens will be looking at hibernating well before December, I find them here from around now, docile and looking for hiding places.

All these are observations from here in Portugal, I am probably way out for the UK. Sorry I made a mess of the quotes, they are within the text.

Last edited:
Use of a laced wet sugar paste would encourage wider circulation of the Fipronil in the nest and potentially allow a greater dose to be applied to the hornet without it succumbing to quickly.

Sugar paste, like fondant, exactly what bees like.

Give a greater dose to any honey bee the colony the hornet decides to visit and drop dead/get killed, instead of going directly back to it's own nest.

I struggle with the advice given by the NBU regards monitoring traps and the use of protein baits.

If the situation arises where selective traps are required then I promise that I will step up to the plate and provide a selective variant that is specifically crafted to velutina. I can't say anymore because I will be breaking forum rules.

Needless to say I have had a number of calls on this subject and my impression is that there is widespread 'panic' out there which at present just isn't warranted.

As for communicating directly with the NBU then the problem I have is that I'm just another wasp trap salesman.

Sugar paste, like fondant, exactly what bees like.

Give a greater dose to any honey bee the colony the hornet decides to visit and drop dead/get killed, instead of going directly back to it's own nest.

I understand but that's where the method must be quite refined. So, for example make the sugar paste using vinegar instead of water to make it less attractive to bees in the event that the hornet dies on route. Only release treated hornets as dusk is approaching and they're ready to aggregate for the night (I'm not aware that velutina is nocturnal but I may be wrong in this). Furthermore, during the hunting phase hornets will be fed by their brood so they will be hungry if kept in captivity for any length of time and will beat a path straight back to the nest as their power pack will be running down. They are quite large insects so burn a lot of calories to keep going and this may explain why they die quickly in captivity if they are not given access to liquid carbs.

Trapping will only ever be a palliative method and that's fine if one becomes resigned to living with velutina in regions that sustain the insect. However, if it's eradication that is required then the measures to be taken will have a small degree of associated risk. The point is that treated hornets know their way home so it's a matter of weaponising them so that they do the work for you. If the sugar paste method proves to be too harmful collaterally then there are other options but they carry a higher cost and require scientific development.

I understand but that's where the method must be quite refined. So, for example make the sugar paste using vinegar instead of water to make it less attractive to bees in the event that the hornet dies on route. Only release treated hornets as dusk is approaching and they're ready to aggregate for the night (I'm not aware that velutina is nocturnal but I may be wrong in this). Furthermore, during the hunting phase hornets will be fed by their brood so they will be hungry if kept in captivity for any length of time and will beat a path straight back to the nest as their power pack will be running down. They are quite large insects so burn a lot of calories to keep going and this may explain why they die quickly in captivity if they are not given access to liquid carbs.

Trapping will only ever be a palliative method and that's fine if one becomes resigned to living with velutina in regions that sustain the insect. However, if it's eradication that is required then the measures to be taken will have a small degree of associated risk. The point is that treated hornets know their way home so it's a matter of weaponising them so that they do the work for you. If the sugar paste method proves to be too harmful collaterally then there are other options but they carry a higher cost and require scientific development.

I don't actually intend to do anything, going to leave it all to the secret society, not really very concerned about these hornets at all, yet.

If they ever do become established I may import some hornet resistant bees from the USA, Fusion power is bound to have some of them in stock.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back