Asian hornet nest Jersey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting work from Italy in tracking them to their nests with radar. Recent upgrades of the harmonic radar for the tracking of the Asian yellow-legged hornet

Loved this picture of one carrying his micro radio transmitter.
y9vjvf2k

Last edited:
Picture not showing, alas, but if you follow the link some interesting pictures of radio controlled hornets to be seen.

Caught the end of the Patterson/Seeley lecture at last years BBKA convention (on youtube). Good session if only Roger would stop continually jigging from one foot to the other during his talk- the man can't keep still! A beekeeper from Jersey said us folk on the mainland are all doomed once VV arrives. He recommended we all keep many small colonies rather than a few large colonies if we wanted to harvest any honey! I presume he mean't we were all going to lose colonies?

Caught the end of the Patterson/Seeley lecture at last years BBKA convention (on youtube). Good session if only Roger would stop continually jigging from one foot to the other during his talk- the man can't keep still! A beekeeper from Jersey said us folk on the mainland are all doomed once VV arrives. He recommended we all keep many small colonies rather than a few large colonies if we wanted to harvest any honey! I presume he mean't we were all going to lose colonies?

That’s interesting
They have Vv on Jersey. Do they consider themselves doomed I wonder?

dont believe the hype!! were all still keeping bees, plenty of nucs to sell, plenty of Production hives to use next year. no losses through Hornets this year!

dont believe the hype!! we're all still keeping bees, plenty of nucs to sell, plenty of Production hives to use next year. no losses through Hornets this year!

Just as I suspected - our bees are not all doomed. I suppose there are beekeepers in France, Spain and Portugal who are just letting it happen to them - no spring trapping, no AH nest poisoning, no collective beekeeper action. The same would happen here if beekeepers assume somebody else will "do it" - the Devon initiative of creating Asian Hornet Action Teams is starting to making us all think that, at the end of the day, it will be us that does the fighting in the trenches!

CVB

Good to hear this, if I ever see any I will let you know immediately.

No, that would be the beginning of the day. I'm talking about when the NBU moves into containment mode and all the SBIs have gone home. We'd be in the same position as Richard Noel and the beeks in Jersey, relying on our own resources.

CVB

No, that would be the beginning of the day. I'm talking about when the NBU moves into containment mode and all the SBIs have gone home. We'd be in the same position as Richard Noel and the beeks in Jersey, relying on our own resources.

CVB

But vigilantism isn't the answer. If beeks start rampaging over private property they will quickly lose any good will that's out there. Mazzamazda's magic bullet does away with all those issues.

Latest posts

Back