Asian Hornet in Lancashire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was the photograph authenticated?

Yes it was. Our local Bee Inspector in Lancashire confirmed that it was VV.
He is in Bury at the moment co-coordinating the search.

Yes it was. Our local Bee Inspector in Lancashire confirmed that it was VV.
He is in Bury at the moment co-coordinating the search.

I understand that VV was identified from the photo but that wasn't my question. Before starting the search for the insect did anyone check that the photo was genuine?

I understand that VV was identified from the photo but that wasn't my question. Before starting the search for the insect did anyone check that the photo was genuine?

I sat next to the chap replacing Ian. I wish I’d asked. However there are thousands of sightings reported and few mobilisations so it probably convinced the inspectorate

I suppose a photograph of the hornet sat on the subject's kitchen worktop next to said dissected cauliflower would have been a start in the right direction. I'm sure steps would have been taken to ascertain whether it was a photoshopped image or not.

Update
I am within 500m of the sighting.
SBIs set up a trap and are checking it weekly.
No reports of other sightings in any of the local traps.

Update
I am within 500m of the sighting.
SBIs set up a trap and are checking it weekly.
No reports of other sightings in any of the local traps.

So unlightly to ba an established nest. Mine here, over the pond in North brittany france are still on their small starter nests, with a tiny amount of workers if any. our traps are working well. Catching a few founding queens each week. i found a starter nest i my green house last week but the queen has gone. i am sure she's in one of the ones i trapped in the last couple of weeks.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjTE0j7nBwj/?taken-by=plenty_of_honey

P-O-H
Thanks for the response.
What bait do you use in your traps at this time of year ?
Do you preserve the dead Qs ?
UK BKAs are being encourage to set up Asian Hornet Action Teams. It might be handy for the teams to have actual dead specimens.
Although I'm in a surveillance area, I've never seen a dead specimen.

Latest posts

Back