Arson

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flipping heck sickens you to the stomach hearing this. It's probably one of those blighted who will then moan that their plants aren't pollinated as they used to be.

Keep your pecker up - and let's hope the perp is caught.

Noggin, may I ask which site you are on, please.
I am in Oldham and we have hives on ours.

Noggin had hives on his, but they got burnt by some weirdo, so keep an eye on yours... they could be next.

Hivemaker, yes I have been following the thread. Our assoc have several hives and are in contact with a few others in the locality. Info like this would be better shared to help all of us.

sorry about your hives but its a waist of time calling police I caught my neighbour climbing over my fence after he had poisoned my bees for second time but because I did not see all his face police wont do a thing about it killed all my my flying bees just left with few baby ones so to speak but he will regret it in time

Probably worth checking them yourself asap, rather than waiting to find out where these other hives are/were.

I think people here are missing my point. We have checked our hives but are in the same locallity. This may have been an isolated incident, but it could easily spread to others.

Most Police forces are a bit keen to track down anyone starting a property-damaging fire. Enough of the culprits progress to starting bigger fires, so they have a real interest in sorting things out before people get hurt.
Fires seemed to get much more Police attention than mere thefts ...

Scumbags - no other way to describe them!!! - Maybe get some geese - they make remarkable guard animals and would make mincemeat out of anyone approaching them that they knew didn't feed them - just a thought.......

We're in South Chadderton.

I am pretty certain this was targeted at us two. The third beekeeper's hive was not doused in anything.

Shocking!!
I'd rather someone steal my bees than do something like this. Op, have you upset anyone lately or in the past or is this just a case of just some idiot just wanted to have some sort of madness

Have got lots of thoughts going through my head:

* Could contact the paper - it's an interesting story. Would publicity like that be good for the finding of a witness (If someone's gone to work with no eye brows maybe?) or does it just highlight the fact bees burn?
Does it encourage the police if the paper is in the story?

* Leaflet the flats that overlook the site in the hope someone saw something and is willing to report it to the police. And encourage them to report any further suspicious behaviour.

* Move the apiary to a different area of the site where is might be safer.

* Get a huge locked fence for the apiary. Pricey.

* Get security or hidden cameras on site. Tricky but do-able, but where the apiary is at the moment makes it hard to see on a camera from the nearest electricity supply we could borrow. Although mounting one on a huge pole might help that'd possibly have PP implications. Also a cost implication but would benefit security on site overall.

* Stop keeping bees on the site altogether.

We've had very little trouble in the way of vandalism over the last four years. The incident may be related to something else that has happened on site very recently - but proving it is a different matter.

* Could contact the paper - it's an interesting story. Would publicity like that be good for the finding of a witness (If someone's gone to work with no eye brows maybe?) or does it just highlight the fact bees burn?
Does it encourage the police if the paper is in the story?

* Leaflet the flats that overlook the site in the hope someone saw something and is willing to report it to the police. And encourage them to report any further suspicious behaviour.

i like those two ideas, could shame them a bit and also making such a fuss might make them back off.

Not too many shops sell cellulose thinners, worth a try asking shop owners if anyone has bought some recently.

with a bat!

shocking behaviour. I'd be tempted to set up a dummy with a web cam.

Good Idea!
I also think any publicity is good publicity.
Leafleting the flats would let people know there are bees nearby of course and could be a two edged sword on the one hand the fear factor and on the other having people being more aware of possible vandalism and damage to our fragile environment. We do need to be careful about encouraging retaliatory action that may be misdirected. After all two wrongs don't make a right and could end up penalising the wrong people.:judge:

Last edited:
Back