Arson

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not too many shops sell cellulose thinners, worth a try asking shop owners if anyone has bought some recently.

I have a 5 liter can in our garage: our local car diy place sells them (5 litres was cheaper than 2x250cc cans!)

Not too many shops sell cellulose thinners, worth a try asking shop owners if anyone has bought some recently.

I'd have thought it an unusual choice of 'accelerant'. (Diesel would be better for starting a bonfire ...)
Wonder if any of the 'suspects' would have reason to have ready access to the stuff?

Dreadfully sorry for you and your bees. What a mean-spirited thing to do, kill innocent creatures just to hurt somebody. Hope the guilty party is caught, named and shamed.

Definitely get the story in the papers. If nothing else, it will make allotment owners and beekeepers in the area more alert to possible vandalism.

Dreadfully sorry for you and your bees. What a mean-spirited thing to do, kill innocent creatures just to hurt somebody. Hope the guilty party is caught, named and shamed.

Definitely get the story in the papers. If nothing else, it will make allotment owners and beekeepers in the area more alert to possible vandalism.

absolutely, also good PR for Bees , really sorry again, what Tossers !! Horrendous to think that there are such people about in Society. Best wishes to you .

Will have a chat to people tonight at allotment meeting.

Have emailed Manchester and Oldham's beekeeping groups and asked them to let members know.

I got a form today to fill in with costs of loss/damage.

I am so sorry to hear this, it is absolutely disgusting. I would like to set the culprit on fire and see how they like it, just the thought of those poor bees! Your other hives should be ok though, I had a member of my old bee keeping group take it upon himself to creosote the hive with the bees in residence, and although they were clearly livid, they survived their ordeal. Fingers crossed for you.

I am the husband of the third beekeeper on site, and also the chair of the allotment.

Firstly can I thank all of you who have commented on this thread, whilst there is nothing you can do physically, just knowing that we have your support is very uplifting.

Alldigging called me as soon as she saw what was happening and I rushed down to arrive just as the fire brigade were leaving. It was terrible to be there, in the pitch dark about 11.30pm with the smell of burning still heavy in the air, mixed with the strong smell of thinners from the other five hives.

We checked the entire allotment for other signs of damage or to identify where an intruder could have gained access, both that night and again first thing in the morning. There was no damage, and no signs of tracks in the mud (fresh or otherwise) near any potential entry points to the allotment. The only real alternative access points apart from the main gate (which is covered by CCTV) are through a panelled fence in one neighbouring garden, or through a gate (normally locked) into another.

It has been mentioned that the attack could have been targeted as only two out of three beeks' hives were attacked - it could also be that the only unaffected hive is on the other side of the apiary.

Unfortunately we have no evidece or proof as to who could have done this - we are getting advice and help from the local council (as land owner) and the local crime prevention officer who we hope can give us some practical advice.

Our local Councillors are also getting involved as they have been very supportive of us having bees on the allotment, one even going as far as giving us a grant to buy both an adult and a child's bee suit so we can show our hives off to visitors to the plot.

Whilst I appreciate the depth of feeling this disgusting action has instilled in all of us, can we please tone down the posts suggesting direct action against the perpetrator?

We have no intention of stooping to their level, and we feel sure that at some point the person or persons who have done this will not be able to resist bragging about it which will eventually lead to their apprehension, and if it turns out that they are indeed part of our allotment they will be unceremoniously turfed off.

It is a very small allotment with are only 16 of us on here, so I really do hope that it isn't.

All we can do for now is to carry on and hope that the hives attacked with thinners survive, and that the poly which was next to the fire didn't get too heated, but there has been very little activity from any of the hives on the apiary (ours included) since then, so we may potentially be looking at the loss of 6 or 7 colonies.

Andy

Thanks for the update.

I hope things work out okay for all of you, and your remaining bees.

No visible in or out... perhaps hiding in a shed whilst the attention died down....

Upto £215
Some very generous people out there

Some very generous people out there
Yes, it's good to see something nice come out of something so ghastly.

Will the poly hives need replacing too? It might be worth asking Modern Beekeeping for advice.

Yes, it's good to see something nice come out of something so ghastly.

Will the poly hives need replacing too? It might be worth asking Modern Beekeeping for advice.

It has been wonderful for the kind donations from so many people and the words of encouragement.

The remaining one has gone very strange on the side nearest the fire - not sure if just heat or with the thinners being put on it

10997281_10153070311495259_4405191560949779473_o.jpg

It looks as if that side of that hive has either melted by heat or has been damaged by thinners. Modern Beekeeping might know if the structure has been weakened, maybe send them a picture?

The beekeeper will only know if it's viable, as a hive, when they can look inside.

Latest posts

Back