are yours out playing??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ours were out earlier today - dodging the raindrops, but still bringing in pollen.

I wish I knew what book they have been reading! Certainly isn't any of mine.

What temps are members seeing tonight,@21.50 I am reading 14.2c outside?

I went to a dance last night and was driving home between midnight and 1am. The temperature was 11 degrees.........unbelievable

Alas don't get the chance in daylight to see what my bees are doing. The naughty carnis who had been chewing the poly roof insulation have been given lumps of fondant to occupy themselves with and have cleared quite a lot. They'd run out again today, but so had I so they'll have to wait till morning now.

Frisbee

The reasonably warm weather today and the ladies all out for an afternoon stroll gave me the chance to check on their fondant. Glad I did as most had gone through all I had put on 3 weeks ago! I guess the warn weather and lack of natural food has made them look toward their stores? Will make sure I have some more fondant ready when I treat with oxalic towards end of month.

I was wondering that myself, i diced up a block of fondant today ready to take up to the hives this week. All this rain intermittent with cold snaps must be driving the bees mad, and i am sure they must be motoring through what stores they have.

Not seen mine flying since October, but we've had loads of rain through the latter part of October and most of November, and guess what - it's still raining this month. I was worried about stores so put a KG of fondant on 3 weeks ago but they hadn't touched it up to last week.

No wind, dry, thin overcast with sun shining through +14C
This is a 5 frame Nuc that I insulated with polystyrene and then covered with black plastic while most are foraging - lots of ivy still available orange pollen - a few of them are checking out the new "overcoat"

even mine have been out today

Weather report was good for today so I took the opportunity to do a bit work in the apiary, clearing dead brambles and other stuff. There was a few bees flying and they seemed to be heading off in the same direction rather than cleansing flights but no pollen going in. Also noticed some crocus starting to sprout.

I've only seen alittle activity from my main hives in the last few weeks and my weak nuc (which is in a poly nuc inside a shed) has done very little since october.

Today was the first half descent day we've had in South Devon in what seems like weeks and it was fairly warm too and boy did it make a difference!

The nuc was just on cleansing flights I think but the main hive were really on a mission! All bees on the same flight line straight to some nearby well kept gardens, no sign of any pollen though.

Ditto here in warm Cumbria.
What a difference from yesterday.

I think every single bee in the hive was out today,you could not see the front of the hive for bees and the air was thick with them, was nice to see and kinda reassuring at the same time:)

I think every single bee in the hive was out today,you could not see the front of the hive for bees and the air was thick with them, was nice to see and kinda reassuring at the same time:)

how warm was it there?

JD

hi jezd
was very warm midday 12-14c sun was shining right on the hive too

11.6c here at 8.45pm
I checked hives after lunch and they all are acting like a flow is on.

temps and sun make such a difference, insulation time from this weekend mind.

Thought the nuc in my back garden was leaving bees flying all over the garden. Ten mins later all back inside, they must have all had permission for a toilet break. :cheers2:

I think today will bee the last chance to get out for a very very long time.I have a keen interest in the weather and if the outlook models have things right we're in for an exceptionally long and severe cold spell.

Make sure to wrap the ladies up warm !!

9 deg C max and lots out foraging on ivy yesterday, saw huge pollen loads
on a few bees, others with nothing probably after cleansing flights. Lots of bees chilled or drowned in the tiny puddles of cold water on the numerous hive roofs though, rescued a couple of dozen and after being left for 30 mins in the kitchen (in a plastic container with a dab of foundation) all but one was fit enough to fly off again.

You should be nominated for the RSPCA Gold Medal! Or are you just being a tight fisted Yorkshireman and wanted to get them back to work as soon as possible?

Latest posts

Back