are yours out playing??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
hi all
just been outside to check on the hive after last nites monsoon,and found my girls out playing:):)

100_2356.jpg

100_2357.jpg

100_2358.jpg

100_2355.jpg

pollen was going in and they seemed to behaving fun:)

ps before anyone mentions it took mouseguard off for the girls to get out easier

mine arn't out and about to the extent of yours, but they are still flying.

I think one of the hives are having choir practice... you can hear the buzzing from the hive about 10 feet away!

peteinwilts,

Watch out Pete,

They might be getting ready to swarm!! Everything in the garden is busy (or flying to some extent) here in Lincolnshire

Regards, RAB

blo*dy hell, that was really today? just shows how this country varies with weather and conditions, I walked around over my hives today and only saw 1 bee :)

and you had pollen too, interestingly I took photos of 4-5 different flowering plants yesterday in the garden, given that snow drops are only 2-3 weeks away I think its safe to say that gardens support flowers all year round - dont laugh at that, I just never took much notice b4

nothing flying here, although I did see two large flies today

PS I would guess the pollen is Ivy and Baslam

Last edited:
Yep bees from my nuc in back garden flying well this morning before the rain came. :cheers2:

beedons,

Bees were taking in pollen on the winter solstice last year as well as on Christmas Eve! They stayed indoors for the next six or seven weeks but were flying very strongly around the middle of February.

Regards, RAB

We have Roses, Fuschias and other flowers out here in our part of Kent - some bees flying too!

still just got a b.....y lake where my lawn and veg garden was- heron down again - ever hopeful :confused:

peteinwilts,

Watch out Pete,

They might be getting ready to swarm!! Everything in the garden is busy (or flying to some extent) here in Lincolnshire

Regards, RAB

Swarm!! ...in December!!! ...they must be mad!!

Should I set up a swarm box to pop nearby or should I just delve in?? ...

the forecast is 11 degrees and sunny tomorrow but with a bit of a breeze... too cold for the ladies?

peteinwilt, tell me you are joking right, leave em alone !!!

:patriot:

ps if anyone has to go in hives next weekend is looking very good at mo, warm and dry!

peteinwilt, tell me you are joking right, leave em alone !!!

thats what I thought!... I'll just leave a swarm box out in case they DO decide to swarm

I doubt they are preparing to swarm - very unlikely.

Just took a beekeeping for beginners course today and I was amazed at the numbers of bees out foraging that suddenly returned as it started raining as we stood beside the hives.....and I thought it was on the chilly side too !

Lots of pollen visible on legs !

regards

Stephen

I doubt they are preparing to swarm - very unlikely.

Just took a beekeeping for beginners course today and I was amazed at the numbers of bees out foraging that suddenly returned as it started raining as we stood beside the hives.....and I thought it was on the chilly side too !

Lots of pollen visible on legs !

regards

Stephen

glad to hear it!! maybe they are just getting their hymn practice in before christmas! :hat:

not sure if the honeysuckle is of any value. also not sure about the flowers that look like poached eggs... they are growing like weeds at the moment! (maybe they ARE weeds! :confused:)

What temps are members seeing tonight,@21.50 I am reading 14.2c outside?

Well no activity for past few days. Not surprising really.
Today whilst the BBC said it was going to be a nice afternoon everyhwhere heavy cold showers came in with the tide and even humans in coats didn't venture out.

Latest posts

Back