Are our bees 'enslaved'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:iagree:Have been a 'veggie' for 20 years I cannot be regarded as pasty faced at all, in fact quite the opposite.
S

I was a veggie for a few months....then I got drunk and ate some snails and a venison steak on my wedding anniversary.
If no one ate meat would we only have a few farm animals in the zoos? OK, chickens would be kept for eggs...cows for milk. sheep for wool...or do we even need wool anymore? Not sure what we would do with pigs. If you asked them if they'd rather live and then die I would imagine they would choose to live. Thus by eating pork I give life to pigs.

Speechless to think anyone would think this !!!! obviously misinformed or tunneled visioned, tell her to read the :facts:

Simple. Explain that if beekeepers did not supply accommodation etc for bees, there would be no bees.

I be more tempted to say "ok, you've won me over. You are right.. Do you have any preference as to which day I tip my bees out over your garden wall?"

my thoughts on vegetarianism is simple... if animals were not ment to be eaten, they would not taste so good...

sprouts are not meant to be eaten! :ack2:

Fin

Where does most of your power come from?

salatuo_2010_2011-10-06_kuv_003_en_001.gif

Y 2010
salatuo_2010_2011-10-06_kuv_001_en_001.gif

Last edited:
Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom
a Bee is an insect not an animal like cattle pigs goats
enough said LOL
i think us beeks are the slaves.
it's when they up and leave us and we go and find them to bring them back home carrying them in a box we are the slavesnot worthy

Had a lady yesterday give me a right old lecture :serenade: about how I was being cruel to honey bees and had enslaved them for my personal gain.
She is a Vegan She did wear nice perfume and make up though

Pete D

I wonder if her cosmetics were tested on nanimals?

If no one ate meat would we only have a few farm animals in the zoos? OK, chickens would be kept for eggs...cows for milk. sheep for wool...

None of that would be allowed - according to Pete's cooky woman that would all be classed as slavery! - but how does she justify using the internal combustion engine (and I bet she travels by motor vehicle) surely that's an immoral desecration of the mortal remains of all those poor prehistoric crustaceans

Hydroponics working well in Finland Finman ;)

Hmmm - always thought a few of his posts looked chemically induced!:sifone: :spy: (licks tip of pencil, opens notebook) :D

You mean honey isn't just pureed bees! Am I doing something wrong?

Only if you use a misleading description and no best before date.

my thoughts on vegetarianism is simple... if animals were not ment to be eaten, they would not taste so good...

sprouts are not meant to be eaten! :ack2:

Yes, you're right. Roast child is too good not to eat. :drool5:

(Can't agree about the sprouts though)

I was a veggie for a few months....then I got drunk and ate some snails and a venison steak on my wedding anniversary.
If no one ate meat would we only have a few farm animals in the zoos? OK, chickens would be kept for eggs...cows for milk. sheep for wool...or do we even need wool anymore? Not sure what we would do with pigs. If you asked them if they'd rather live and then die I would imagine they would choose to live. Thus by eating pork I give life to pigs.

Interesting philosophical point. Any living animal wants to live, certainly. However, they would have to be alive to have an opinion and to want to live. Any animal that doesn't live can have no opinion.

So if I've got it right you would take life away from those that want it, while giving it to those with no opinion?

Veganism is a way of living which excludes all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, the animal kingdom
a Bee is an insect not an animal like cattle pigs goats
enough said LOL
i think us beeks are the slaves.
it's when they up and leave us and we go and find them to bring them back home carrying them in a box we are the slavesnot worthy

Bit of a random distinction. Goats are not animals like owls, and crocodiles are not like gorillas.

They are all animals. If you are going to distinguish, the only logical way seems to me to be on mental capacity, ie are they capable of minding what you do to them? It seems to me that bees are on the cusp of that: but I can't prove it. There is no clear boundary, but rather a sliding scale of sentience. You can decide where on that scale you are going to draw the line: but there is no simple technical distinction.

Back