not sure this is going to work?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdsandbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 ish
I was called by an old Lady yesterday as she had what seemed to be an airborne swarm in her garden, she couldn't see a cluster and was too fearful to go outside, I reasuured her and asked her to call back if they settled.

Three hours later she called to say that they were still all over the garden and she couldn't get her washing in and asked if I could help her.
so off I went not knowing what I could do, on arrival I could see many bees in the air but most around her chimney!
oh dear!
she went on to explain that she had bees in the chimney a couple of years ago and that she had paid someone to cap it off.. well, they did a pretty poor job then!
sure enough, the bedroom had bees up the window where they were finding the way through her black bag covered fireplace, as I had virtually nothing with me I placed a Nuc on her shed to see if we could tempt them as they clearly weren't settled, several scout bees were seen checking this out and I had to leave (supposed to be at work) later on, early evening time I called her back as I suddenly thought she could smoke them out, she said she would try and let me know this morning.
well, she didn't pluck up the courage so I headed over and gave it a try, managed to get most out and in the air and lots (small swarm sized cluster) were gathering on the Nuc, however, I know bees work fast but honey/nectar was seen dribbling out into the fireplace.
I rather suspect it is an established colony which swarmed yesterday but she hadn't noticed them or maybe it was old Honey from a dead out?
With many bees now fanning at the Nuc entrance and Drones in amongst the number could it be that it's working or as I suspect will they just return once the smoke clears?

time will tell I guess but I'm not hopeful :ohthedrama:

Bees 3 hours all over the garden... IT is not possible. Or bees' fuel will be soon finish.

Interesting! So your bees only fly for a couple of hours each day?

I dare say that they took turns to be in the air.

Last edited:
If there was honey trickling from the chimney then it sounds like they swarmed from the colony in the chimney. If you managed to trap that swarm well done, but suspect the old lady still has bees in her chimney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Only to be done if you know that they have just settled in the chimney. The wax is a fire risk!

Latest posts

Back