Victims of yesterdays storm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lots more pictures please particularly at the very top of the nest. Can you put a ruler or measuring tape in the pics so I have so idea of scale/dimensions?
its because its the tapering in at the top is very interesting from a thermal point of view and I have no data at all on that apart from Tom Seeleys sketch.
thanks

Derek

Happy birthday Derek.
I have been back to the house where the bees came from and there was a chap there with a chain saw cutting the tree up and loading it in his truck. In the interest of science I wrestled the main part of the nest off of him before it was sawn too. It's the complete bit from the third photo that Craig put up for me. It's yours for measuring testing etc as I said happy birthday.

Now we need some help getting it to you. I am going to bee tradex if you are or anybody on here that's near you we could shuttle it down to you.

The hollow extended another 16 inches below the length of the bit I have but there was no comb that low. Above the bit I have was another 8 inches which is where the comb once started but wasn't in use still. This top end was the same diameter as the main body that I have but it terminated where the tree had a major branch coming out, the one in the photo. This gave the effect that the 'roof' of the nest was almost double thick here as the trunk swelled because of the branch, I haven't explained that well. The nest ended at the junction of where the tree basically split in two, which meant that the roof was twice as big and thick. Hmm might be easier to talk if you don't know what I mean.

Anyway if you want it it's yours, just need to get it to you. It will go in a decent size boot.
Cheers

Thanks for sharing Pete D. Great pics and good work. Hope they make it. I trust you will keep us updated?

Outside this morning and opened them up. Few windy orientation flights. Would be nice to see some pollen going in. Will keep the forum updated.

Happy birthday Derek.
I have been back to the house where the bees came from and there was a chap there with a chain saw cutting the tree up and loading it in his truck. In the interest of science I wrestled the main part of the nest off of him before it was sawn too. It's the complete bit from the third photo that Craig put up for me. It's yours for measuring testing etc as I said happy birthday.

Now we need some help getting it to you. I am going to bee tradex if you are or anybody on here that's near you we could shuttle it down to you.

The hollow extended another 16 inches below the length of the bit I have but there was no comb that low. Above the bit I have was another 8 inches which is where the comb once started but wasn't in use still. This top end was the same diameter as the main body that I have but it terminated where the tree had a major branch coming out, the one in the photo. This gave the effect that the 'roof' of the nest was almost double thick here as the trunk swelled because of the branch, I haven't explained that well. The nest ended at the junction of where the tree basically split in two, which meant that the roof was twice as big and thick. Hmm might be easier to talk if you don't know what I mean.

Anyway if you want it it's yours, just need to get it to you. It will go in a decent size boot.
Cheers

Many thanks, This is great news ignore the PM I sent asking for a cross section

yippee!!!

bee-smillieFollowing on from the warm way / cold way question, on previous pages...
Below is a link to a cut out we done at the end of last year.
This was to be a rescue mission as the tree was due for destruction' But the council was unable to give us a date.
So rather than wait for winter , we dived in quick.

http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/J...rt=3&o=4&_suid=139257456290606590402715987971

On a postive twist , the Bee's Today, look like this ,

http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/J...rt=3&o=3&_suid=139257464812506677761950101321

After watching the Bees today , I took a drive to the said tree , to see it still standing and while the Bees were not flying. They are still in there.
The hollow of this Tree goes further up than I could reach and in truth we probaby took a third of the Bees last year + a couple of Queen Cells.
I wonder what this year will bring...
Hopefully the Tree will be left standing.
If and when the council does send the tree surgeon in , we will be there to meet them ' but we're gonna need help. Bro Pete.
This is a monster tree..

Last edited:
Hi Jed,
Nice to see the bees in such quantity and seemingly content. Hope you got the queen. Well done!

If and when the council does send the tree surgeon in , we will be there to meet them ' but we're gonna need help. Bro Pete.
This is a monster tree..

You could always point out to them that Dover District Council transported such a tree trunk to the Association apiary ...
There is a new arrival at the apiary, Roy Pearson and Dover District Council tree surgeons had to fell a tree which landed on a nursing home at Kearsney. The tree was home to honeybees! A section of trunk was cut and transported in the evening to Eythorne, bees last seen happily going in & out, now horizontal rather than vertical. Roy was his usual capable practical self, but well done DDC.
http://www.ddbka.com/2013/08/newsletter-august-2013.html
When last heard of, they were still 'at home' and seemingly thriving. I'm not sure what the future might hold for their accommodation ...

It would be great to have tree in my own garden ,but as its sixty foot tall !!
It might easier to buy the house next to it....:)

We did get a queen cell ,which hatched and mated, but it was late September.
I'm guessing they will change her early spring.... ( poorly mated ) ?
Fingers crossed, hopefully be able to have a look in a week or two.....

Amazing photos, I hope they come good for you.

Bees have been flying, had a peek through the clear crown board on the poly yesterday and they are ok at the moment. Fingers crossed, will become clearer in a few weeks.

Quick look today in the 14x 12 poly nuc these bees are housed in.
2 frames with bias so we have a viable colony in the making. They now have a lump of fondant and a good chance of making it.
Great news'

Latest posts

Back