Apisolis Instead of smoke

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I haven’t. It’s Expensive!
You could use a spray bottle and mist water and essential oils much more cheaply
I’ve seen @Black Mountain Honey review it some time ago.
I wonder what he thinks of it now?

Yes i thought so too for some “ special” oils and a vaper . I just wondered .
Gwenyn Gruffydd has also done a review.

Just watched this , it does look like it works but the fella is selling it in his shop so has an invested interest. My only worry would be, its ok buying gimmicky new things but going forward would you be able to buy spares or the oil etc for it. Think I’ll stick with hessian and rotten wood for now then

Just watched this , it does look like it works but the fella is selling it in his shop so has an invested interest. My only worry would be, its ok buying gimmicky new things but going forward would you be able to buy spares or the oil etc for it. Think I’ll stick with hessian and rotten wood for now then
Yeah I can understand that.

Playing with the smoker is part of the fun for me :LOL:

It's not something I'd really consider unless I had several sites away from home perhaps and leave it in the vehicle for when I inevitably forget the smoker.

Yeah I can understand that.

Playing with the smoker is part of the fun for me :LOL:

It's not something I'd really consider unless I had several sites away from home perhaps and leave it in the vehicle for when I inevitably forget the smoker.
I only have home bees so not a problem there …..however keeping the smoker going by the time you get to the last hive is another matter 🤣🤣 im not keen on smelling like a bonfire either 😬

I have a apisolis. I have never used a traditional smoker so I've got nothing to compare it to.

It does however do the job I'd expect a smoker would. My bees are very well natured so I barely use it. A few puffs though and the bees are moving away from where I vape. Generally down into the box if I vape the top of the frames.

The smell it produces is pleasant and starting it is as simple as compressing the bellows three times.

I accept it's expensive but that's not really been a consideration for my beekeeping adventure so far. And yes you can replace certain parts and get refills of the fluid used.

I’ve got some of this you can buy….. it’s also organic
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/i-have-a-cunning-plan.53135/#post-829214
👍🤣🤣🤣
I have a apisolis. I have never used a traditional smoker so I've got nothing to compare it to.

It does however do the job I'd expect a smoker would. My bees are very well natured so I barely use it. A few puffs though and the bees are moving away from where I vape. Generally down into the box if I vape the top of the frames.

The smell it produces is pleasant and starting it is as simple as compressing the bellows three times.

I accept it's expensive but that's not really been a consideration for my beekeeping adventure so far. And yes you can replace certain parts and get refills of the fluid used.
Thanks bluebell for your feedback

A line in the blurb within the Thornes description gives a caviat:
“Apisolis is effective on calm, quiet bees. A smoker may still be beneficial for other colonies.”
Could be an expensive mistake, when it’s really needed?
Yes i thought that a bit doubting of the efficacy of the machine when thornes state a smoker may still be needed.

I bought an Apisolis last year - not just because it's another gadget ;)
I'm a teacher, so it feels like I talk non-stop all day long, and I noticed that on Monday/Tuesday my voice was suffering, before gradually improving again as I went through the week, until my next weekly inspection on a Saturday/Sunday. As much as I love getting my smoker lit, and having it on standby to move the bees and avoid crushing them on the edges of boxes, I realised that this regular 'smoking' of my lungs might not be so good for my voice. Which is why I started looking for an alternative.
I've tried misting with water, or sugar water, but I didn't find it particularly effective, so I thought I'd give the Apisolis a go.

The smell is quite nice, and its very easy to use, but although I persevered last summer it didn't work great for me. To be honest it worked about as well as gently blowing on the bees without all of the oils and scents. For the last couple of inspections of the year, and the removal of the supers I reverted to the smoker.

I will be trying it again this year, as I love the theory of it, and the lack of smoke getting down my throat, but it's interesting to read others' opinions.

I purchased an Apisolis last year and used it at the end of the beekeeping season, by which time all my hives contained calm bees.
It's quite a nice item to use. It definitely less harmful than a regular smoker.
And I don't smell like a bonfire after using it.
It doesn't get hot so is less of a fire risk.
Less risk of me setting my car or my beesuit alight.
It is a lot more expensive than a normal smoker.
The bellows are made of cardboard so have a limited life expectancy.
The small coil that heats up the oil turning it into a vapour needs replacing each year.
The liquid that goes into this is much more expensive than shredded cardboard.
So money wise this is an expensive toy.
You need to charge it up before use. It won't work if the battery is flat.

I think it's a good idea but an expensive one.

I doubt it will be useful on an angry hive.
Time will tell.

maybe just not pumping gouts of smoke into the hive in the first place would be the answer?
No gouts of smoke in my hives - but still smoke in my lungs as the wind blows and the smoker stands off to the side (just in case) not mention the amount as I'm lighting it.

My existing smoker runs on packaging cardboard, egg boxes and rotten wood from our garden/adjacent field.
I'll try anything which is more effective from a control point of view and costs less :devilish:

Latest posts

Back