Apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonh

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After harvested the honey from my supers the end of August, I put the shallow boxes under each brood box, not only for the bees to clean out,but left a couple of full frames of honey in each,along with the extracted frames. Wanted to give some back as we got enough.
Then I put on first trays of apiguard on each brood chamber within an eke.
2nd trays were due today. I was surprised to find that two of the hives had wild brace comb built up from tops of brood frames to the underside of the cover board on the ekes. What a mess. They had the apiguard cleared from the trays, and comb built and filled all around the aluminum trays.
It wasn't that they had no space, with shallow box under & one undrawn frame at back of brood nest.
I just left two full frames in each shallow along with empty frames that were extracted.
All I could do, was carefully take the comb that was attached to trays & drop in 2nd treatment. What is the best to tackle this? Should I just wait until 2nd treatment is finished in two weeks & remove it all,when taking ekes away. Can this be fed back and how?
Has anyone else had this problem.

Sharon

Probably it's the mild September with bees still packing it in and Ivy has just flowered. I don't usually do the nardy thing having 14x12 hives but judging from what I seen today I will have to put a box used as a super with uncapped stores islaw.............. why not ?

… I was surprised to find that two of the hives had wild brace comb built up from tops of brood frames to the underside of the cover board on the ekes. …
It wasn't that they had no space, with shallow box under & one undrawn frame at back of brood nest.
I just left two full frames in each shallow along with empty frames that were extracted.

Move that single undrawn frame right into the middle of the brood nest.
That will direct the comb-drawing effort to where it is most urgently needed (and most useful).

Given the extra volume Apiguard requires, plus plenty food availability, it isn't uncommon for wild comb to be drawn in the eke.
Especially when feeding (by any method) at the same time.
My own anecdotal (non-rigorous, not scientifically established) impression is that wild comb is more likely the smaller the eke, and likely the warmer the Apiguard headspace. Using a completely empty super as the eke rarely results in comb in the eke.

I'd suggest removing the comb at the earliest opportunity. Smoke and/or water mist the bees down from it, and take care in case Q is there looking for somewhere available to lay.
Pile it into something like a small honeybucket and look to feed it back to them after the Apiguard is done.

The bees instinct is to move the stores UP, and the eke gives them a volume "needing comb" to satisfy that instinct. They are just doing what comes naturally!

Move that single undrawn frame right into the middle of the brood nest.
That will direct the comb-drawing effort to where it is most urgently needed (and most useful).

Given the extra volume Apiguard requires, plus plenty food availability, it isn't uncommon for wild comb to be drawn in the eke.
Especially when feeding (by any method) at the same time.
My own anecdotal (non-rigorous, not scientifically established) impression is that wild comb is more likely the smaller the eke, and likely the warmer the Apiguard headspace. Using a completely empty super as the eke rarely results in comb in the eke.

I'd suggest removing the comb at the earliest opportunity. Smoke and/or water mist the bees down from it, and take care in case Q is there looking for somewhere available to lay.
Pile it into something like a small honeybucket and look to feed it back to them after the Apiguard is done.

The bees instinct is to move the stores UP, and the eke gives them a volume "needing comb" to satisfy that instinct. They are just doing what comes naturally!

Thanks Itma,
I will go do that today. Might just change eke to an empty super as well,as they might build it up again in the eke. Thanks for that.
What's the best way to feed that back to them , do I remove the honey from the comb and put in feeder?

What's the best way to feed that back to them , do I remove the honey from the comb and put in feeder?

When the time comes, I'd suggest spreading it around in a 'rapid-type' feeder and then giving that to the bees WITHOUT its central cone-cover (use the lid!) That will allow the bees full access to the inside of the feeder, and they can clean out the comb.
An "English Feeder" (a big rectangular version of a rapid feeder) is excellent for this sort of thing - which many people do with their "uncappings".

When the time comes, I'd suggest spreading it around in a 'rapid-type' feeder and then giving that to the bees WITHOUT its central cone-cover (use the lid!) That will allow the bees full access to the inside of the feeder, and they can clean out the comb.
An "English Feeder" (a big rectangular version of a rapid feeder) is excellent for this sort of thing - which many people do with their "uncappings".

Thank you very much Itma for all your help. I will do that so with rapid feeder when apiguard treatment is finished.

Sharon

Latest posts

Back