Apiguard treatment - 4 weeks?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi - I've just added another apiguard treatment to my bees after 1 week. Most of the original treatment has nearly gone but I've left it in the hives with the new treatment. Worried As I should really have left it 2 weeks before adding second dose. My quandary is should I remove the newly added treatment and place back in the hives after another week or leave both in the hives for another 3 weeks. I could really do with starting autumn feeding although the bees are coming back fully loaded with balsam, almost feel I should put another super on! Any advice would be great fully received.

Thanks,

Carl:iamwithstupid:

If you read the FAQ's, the recommended action is to wait two weeks even if all the treatment has gone after one week. Personally and especially with hotter weather forecast, I would whip it out and wait as directed.
Cazza

Thanks Cazza apiguard removed

My bees are all over the balsam maybe I should have waited til next week before taking the honeybee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie. I wonder how to get the max. Honey yield, treat with apiguard and autumn feed or perhaps hardly any autumn feeding is needed if close to balsam?!

Use MAQS it can be used when supers are on.

Thanks Craig will look into it....

Just wondering how much sugar I will probably need to feed each hive after the balsam crop. The rate they are bringing in now. Probably not that much!

Mine are on the balsam as well. I "usually" wait until I can see the balsam starting to go over then remove the supers they then have the chance to fill the brood box with enough stores to get them through the winter.
I am using MAQS for the first time this year to see if the go into the winter stronger and will see if they need oxalic this year.

mine were starving last week.. 100 yards off acres and acres of balsom.. i hope they have started to bring nector in.. has anyone found they are bringing it in???

Note I said USUALLY.
Every part of the country can be different. You will have to decide if your bees have enough stores to see them through.

Latest posts

Back