Anyone bringing shade to their bees for the forecast heat wave?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the air temperature. When the sun hits it it is heated by radiant energy, and could easily go up 70 degrees or more. The temperature of the air is what should be measured, and that must be done in shade.
Yes my point entirely. The bees are in the sun all day. I’m not worried about the brood box and two poly supers but there are two wooden ones. So I covered them in reflective foil insulation

I did 2 frames of grafts yesterday morning, I’m happy to report when I checked this morning there was really good takes on both frames. The cell raiser is sitting on a flat roof in full sun in Surrey. Just to prove life in the hive goes on perfectly normally and bees manage just fine!

I did 2 frames of grafts yesterday morning, I’m happy to report when I checked this morning there was really good takes on both frames. The cell raiser is sitting on a flat roof in full sun in Surrey. Just to prove life in the hive goes on perfectly normally and bees manage just fine!
I just couldn't listen to mine fanning like crazy. They are on a solid floor .

My hives are insulated and there has been no bearding at all.

no wonder, if you've propped up the crownboard, allowed warm air to rush through the hive from entrance to top and totally b*ggered up the bees' efforts at balancing the hive internal dynamics
Of course in that case I hadn't. You are batting on the practice pitch.

I did nothing.
My bees did nothing unusual.
They are still alive today: as am I
I may have said this before recently, but: one swallow does not a summer make... Not all hives are made of the same fabrics... Not all are positioned idenically in terms of sun and wind... and so on.

What? You really think one sample offers a proof of all circumstances?

No I don’t it’s an example and as none here are reporting massive hive deaths either we can assume for the vast majority it passed without incident….correct?….I don’t think Kent’s remote either and in that you are alone I presume😉

No I don’t it’s an example and as none here are reporting massive hive deaths either we can assume for the vast majority it passed without incident….correct?….I don’t think Kent’s remote either and in that you are alone I presume😉
I keep hearing that, about Kent not being remote.....it's miles away!

Full sun (tons of stocks) mix of single/double brood and nucs (OMF/SOLID), wood/poly and a load of tiny Apidea hives - all fine and zero issues @ just under 40 degrees and no bowls of water (y)

Also had a bunch of old frames next to my industrial Solar Melter, solid until tossed into the racks.

Its interesting. I wish I'd looked more closely at the circumstances when it happened. I'd assumed at the time it was something to guard against, and have done since.

Did I ever say Kent was remote? It was right next London last time I looked.

I thought Kent was the home of inbred hillbillies and those retiring on parents' wealth. But I am full of prejudices which would get me banned from FB. ( the current Conservative Party Leadership elections tend to reinforce my prejudices)

Apologies to those who fit neither category.. and those who are politically easily offended, (If either of the candidates become PM, we will all regret it --based on history)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back