Anyone bringing shade to their bees for the forecast heat wave?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Most of my hives are in direct sun most of the day. I’m planning on giving them a cardboard (or ply) hat for the next week or so. They already have a good source of water about 20m away.
Anyone else taking some preventative measures for the upcoming heat wave?

Most of my hives are in direct sun most of the day. I’m planning on giving them a cardboard (or ply) hat for the next week or so. They already have a good source of water about 20m away.
I keep 75mm kingspan under the roof of my WBC beehives all year round, so think that & the hive type will help. Thinking of widening entrances to increase airflow too. I have heard that drones start to die above 40C. It is 2 days only, then back to 'normal' temperatures. Bit concerned as I'm taking my General Husbandry assessment for 3 hours on Tuesday, so think I'll be stuffing ice packs down my bee suit! I won't be wearing wellies 🥵

Insulation under metal roofs 365 days.
I have watched them sucking dew out of the entrance blocks of a morning so a water supply is a good idea- but large wide and shallow to mitigate disease exchanging zones -a shallow wildlife pond I do have...

No, but then the top temperature where I am is going to max out at only 26-27 for a few hours on two days. The rest of the time it is going to be high teens/low twenties. I might top up the water station I have for them, but TBH don't think that will even be necessary as there is lots of natural water sources less than 1km away.

Not for the bees but went very summery at the training apiary this evening. Forgot my wellies so ended up doing the inspections in flip flops beneath the bee suit. All the instructors trying not to snigger and wondering how many stings I'd get. Answer - one (first this year), but actually on a finger so that's ok.
Be interesting to see if we get bearding on our hives like US Beeks seem to all through the summer.

Not for the bees but went very summery at the training apiary this evening. Forgot my wellies so ended up doing the inspections in flip flops beneath the bee suit. All the instructors trying not to snigger and wondering how many stings I'd get. Answer - one (first this year), but actually on a finger so that's ok.
Be interesting to see if we get bearding on our hives like US Beeks seem to all through the summer.

It's already happening down here on the Costa del Fareham ....

Attachments

• Bee Party.jpg
    Bee Party.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2
Travelling in Greece and Turkey you see rows of hives on sunny hillsides - and they probably don't have OMFs
They have OMFs
they are on the ball, varroa , AI I am in touch with quite a few Turkish beekeepers .they prize their chestnut honey and take bees to the chestnut forests .the predominant bee is the carniolan!

Travelling in Greece and Turkey you see rows of hives on sunny hillsides - and they probably don't have OMFs
most dont have and much choise but if them had sure them select shade

the biggest problem is the metal roof(ll get rid of them soon , so far in summers using foam above metal) not the floor and personal dont use omf avoiding all the hot coming up from the ground and what i plan do next is open and 2nd entrance one face south one north for air stream(not widening the entrances except those hives be on natural shade) and after summer past keep north(dry air) open not the south(wet air)

as for the suit well in hot days bees do no sting much but when sting burns bit more

The forum dogma is that there should be no top ventilation both winter and summer ie any hole in the CB should be closed as well as any vents in the roofs, and to be doubly sure, keep an insulation board (Kingspan etc) under the roof in place all year.
Surely there is a case for top ventilation in a heat wave - hot air rises........

Surely there is a case for top ventilation in a heat wave - hot air rises........

Depends on how hard the bees are having to work to keep themselves at a temperature they're happy with, I'd have thought. Up to a point, perhaps elevated temperatures make life easier for them rather than harder.

James

Surely there is a case for top ventilation in a heat wave - hot air rises
nope the bees sort it out themselves, No need to find an excuse to revert to BBKA mantra and misteachings
Just been to the Ty uchaf hives to get a few sealed frames for the Royal Welsh, South East facing, no shade apart from for an hour or so shortly after dawn. It's scorchio up there but when I listened to them, no frantic fanning (or much fanning at all to be honest) popped the crown board and bees were chilled and going about their business. gathering nextar and capping honey

Just had a hot weather notification from BIBBA ... suggesting matchsticks under the crownboard !! Does it ever go away ?
I’m sure there not suggesting the use of non native matches!!…….perhaps they’ll now settle for local like other areas😉 I’ve just introduced a couple of II buckfast queens, shorts tee shirt silly ring veil…..But then I’m a bad man😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back