• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Any Devon honey available?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the hand rolled foundation type sell a lot better than poured candles, and they are quicker to make.

I've never made them - did think about having a go if the sheets are in Th**nes sale in Jan...I don't mind ruining 2nds...

Not sure why it's hard to get hold of Devon honey in bulk. There are plenty of commercial beekeepers down there. Why not contact the Bee Farmers Association and ask to put a small ad. in the next BFA bulletin.
Failing that spread the net a little wider to "West Country". As long as you don't mislead on your labels you will be okay.

Anything from £1.95 to £2.30 lb. average bulk price......
going off the OP topic.....
but......
How do the "commercial" UK suppliers manage to make a living at such prices?

I sometimes ask myself the same question. And in 2012 I discovered that sometimes you are just going to make a loss. Apart from that I take heart from the fact my average yield is generally at least 3 times the average published by BBKA. It wouldn't be viable otherwise. It costs me easily over £100 per year to operate each hive, including any non-productive ones.

I sometimes ask myself the same question. And in 2012 I discovered that sometimes you are just going to make a loss. Apart from that I take heart from the fact my average yield is generally at least 3 times the average published by BBKA. It wouldn't be viable otherwise. It costs me easily over £100 per year to operate each hive, including any non-productive ones.

How do you sell your honey? Not all bulk sold?

lb for lb chris do you make much/any more from the jar sales bearing in mind the extra time it takes to jar and label plus cost of jar?

lb for lb chris do you make much/any more from the jar sales bearing in mind the extra time it takes to jar and label plus cost of jar?

Cost of bottling and delivery costs me something like 60p/lb extra including labour, but generates about £1.20/lb extra income. But you have to sit on quite a reserve of honey to be able to work wholesale to a large degree so cashflow is impacted. I'd like to sell at least 50% wholesale but need to build up a bigger reserve first. Meanwhile I've still got improvements to make on the beekeeping side to make production cheaper.

Thanks Chris B - that may be a good idea...we are only a few miles from West Dorset so that may be an idea too

Cost of bottling and delivery costs me something like 60p/lb extra including labour, but generates about £1.20/lb extra income. But you have to sit on quite a reserve of honey to be able to work wholesale to a large degree so cashflow is impacted. I'd like to sell at least 50% wholesale but need to build up a bigger reserve first. Meanwhile I've still got improvements to make on the beekeeping side to make production cheaper.

Thanks for the info

Back