• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Any Devon honey available?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Having run the Community Market for 3 months, with great success, we are now low on honey. Is there anyone in Devon...ideally East or Mid., but may be able to travel further who has honey for sale? Doesn't need to be jarred etc...Please PM if so...TY

Yeah, we've been selling well and I soon have to commit for next year - but only have honey for 1-2 more shows....and the whole point is local, so I cannot really buy from another county...

Try Dan Basterfield or maybe Paddy and Ian Wallace at Quince honey farm.

Thanks HM, I have now emailed Quince, but I don't want to give the Basterfield brand the idea of Community Markets, as it is my only outlet - but Quince may be OK...unless there is a local beekeeper who wants to join in and sell their own honey??

PS/ Thanks for moving me to the right section :D

Thanks HM, I have now emailed Quince, but I don't want to give the Basterfield brand the idea of Community Markets, as it is my only outlet - but Quince may be OK...unless there is a local beekeeper who wants to join in and sell their own honey??

PS/ Thanks for moving me to the right section :D

You possibly just did...as The Younger is a relatively active forumer...

You might try the Tamar Valley Honey Cooperative - I known it has a lot of honey - some in jars but other still in buckets. Speak to Simon on 01579 208412

CVB

Thanks CVB...and ooops susbees...but I expect they have seen previous threads about the market., but it nice to be able to sell honey somewhere...;)

Queens 59... have you contacted the members of your local BKA..... possibly would be more up to supporting your community market project than the more commercial sellers who need to maintain commercial profits.... including unfortunately some of the co-opperative set-ups?

Just a thought!

Queens 59... have you contacted the members of your local BKA..... possibly would be more up to supporting your community market project than the more commercial sellers who need to maintain commercial profits.... including unfortunately some of the co-opperative set-ups?

Anything from £1.95 to £2.30 lb. average bulk price, are the local BKA members likely to sell it for any less i wonder, be interesting to know if they do.

Last edited:
As I am not a BBKA member - I doubt I shall find out, and Quince are not selling in bulk at the moment...I think we will be giving up the stall in January...

Anything from £1.95 to £2.30 lb. average bulk price......
going off the OP topic.....
but......
How do the "commercial" UK suppliers manage to make a living at such prices?
even taking into consideration the removal of bottles/bottling/labelling costs by bulking the honey into 40kg plastic buckets......
working long hours for nowt?
paying their workers minimum or under 16 hour rates?

I will stick with my one garden hive !

Last edited:
£2.30lb wont be far off the mark if you work it the other way.
Add the cost of jars, labels, filtering, then add in labour costs for all that lot would push the price up to what us hobby keepers charge.
As hobby keepers lots of us know what we can sell it for but dont know how much it costs us.
Plus selling in bulk they have the cash back quickly.

As hobby keepers lots of us know what we can sell it for but dont know how much it costs us.

BUT SWMBO does!!!

Erichalfbee - it depends if there is a space...we book a month in advance but many booked for Decembers market last year! There is also a longstanding stall doing jams, chutneys, fruit, veg and eggs who are trying to sell 'bought in' honey (but were asked not to as we were 1st supplier). So I have a horrible feeling that if I give up, I won't get back in and 1/2 my customers will have gone to the other stall.

We also could really do with the money if I am honest, life at the minute isn't exactly easy...Plus, due to my health - just having contact occasionally with new people at the market has really started to make me feel human again...slightly :)

Yes I see.
I sell at a local market which is slow but I did well at a Christmas fayre today, so much so that I had to get husband to bring more half way through the afternoon.
My stocks are getting low too....it's a balancing act to get through to the next harvest.
I hope you source some...best of luck.

Thanks...no luck so far - but if the worst comes to the worst I'll try to keep it going on candles and polish...Wax is easier to buy than honey it appears :D

I haven't managed a single candle sale!
I have nicely packaged 100% pure beeswax tea lights at 50p and still no takers....strange.

My pure beeswax doesn't sell well I'm afraid - I sold 1 large @ £7.50...6 weeks ago but my soya or paraffin wax candles go out quicker than I can replace...My son (26) claims the pure beeswax are...and I quote...'dull and boring...can't I glitter them??'

Latest posts

Back