any beekeepers in Nottingham, nr Junction 25?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonybloke

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 Commercial hives with National supers, Top Bee Space. + 2 Nucs
as title of thread
I got friends in NG9, and they are concerned about a couple of apparently abandoned hives on a derelict farm nr them, the site is about to be bull-dozed for development.
so, any local beekeeper want to go and have a look?

PM me some details Tony, I could possibly get the missus to take me down for a look.

Abandened Hives

as title of thread
I got friends in NG9, and they are concerned about a couple of apparently abandoned hives on a derelict farm nr them, the site is about to be bull-dozed for development.
so, any local beekeeper want to go and have a look?

Since I live one mile from J25 of the M1 I can check them out today if there still a concern. I might know who they might belong to as a member of the Notts and Derbyshire BKA.

Tony

First job is to try to ascertain the ownership of the hives.

For reference see the attached file from the other people's site.

thanks for all the replies.
I'll send details to the bee man, as he's local & a member oif local BKA.

they must have been put there by a beekeeper, or, perhaps the former owners of the farm left them there?

either way, the place is soon to be demolished, and perhaps a knock on the box to see if bees there, and a note under the crownboard would be the best way forward for these possible colonies.

the hives may be marked, of course, enabling identity of owner to be ascertained.

th bee man knows who owns them, he has been in touch with the owner!
thanks for sorting it out, Tony

The bee man your a member of the nottingham bee keeping association!? You might be just the person I've been looking for I'm an art student at nottingham trent doing a project on conservation and have spent the last week tirelessly trying to find some dead bees to make work with. I got them last time frm a bee keeper in manchester and was just wondering if anyone down this end might be able to help?? I don't need many 20/30 if possible but any amount would help me greatly! I know they start to hibernate this time of year so I was thinking there might be a lot at the gotten of the hives or dotted around them if the hives are on stone? Any help whatsoever would be hugely appreciated please contact me at sophie(dot)p(dot)[email protected] - replacing the (dot) with an actual full stop. Kind regards, Sophie

Hi Sophie

Thanks for contacting me, I am sure I can help.

This time of year there will be several dead bees to choose from around my hives as they bring out the dead and tidy up the hive.

Honey bees dont hibernate in the true sense but cluster up when its cold and wet to keep warm and conserve food and energy and go out on the finer milder days even in the middle of winter.

Abandoned hives are not the best place for dead bees, you really need recently died bees from an active apiary perhaps?

I'll send you an email with my contact details so that you contact me directly.

By the way, did you know that Nottingham Trent University has hives? They are doing a project about using the bees to send a text or an email when they were about to swarm (I know!) :icon_204-2:

I'll let you have the contact for that in my email to you.

Regards

Tony

Latest posts

Back