Another siting thread...with pics!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quigs

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Damn...I wrote all this out to find I need 10 posts to enable attachment of pics so if anyone wants to help me out here, I'll post the pics later in the thread!!

Hi all. Im still in the planning process of setting up 2No. hives and I have two locations in mind and thought Id ask some advice on which would be more suited. The first one is shown in the pic below. They would be placed against the fence you see to the left hand side. No one really passes this area as it does suffer from waterlogged ground so i intend to create a small paved area for the hives to sit. As you will see the area which is mostly frequented is set below the area of the hives (to the right approx 2.5m below) so Im hoping flights would pass overhead. I would prefer this location as I can see it from the house and kitchen window.

The second area is a stretch of foreshore to the front of the house. Although not ideal for viewing the hives they would be pointing out towards the estuary, directly away from the house. The pics show the location in relation to the house and the view from where the hives would be located.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be a little concerned to the security aspects...........

Nice to see another beekeeper in the Tamar Valley !

You only need another six posts so get chatting! it's a bit difficult trying to guess from the satellite photo I am right in assuming it's the house right on the creek with a polytunnel to the left?

Yes thats right, polytunnel now gone though!

Not sure what you mean about the security issue....do you mean people walking along the foreshore?

aside from any access issues i presume ICHI is referring to the unwise practice of posting detailed maps of apiary sites on open forum.

"do you mean people walking along the foreshore?"

walking? squelching along in a laboured fashion wearing waders.

aside from any access issues i presume ICHI is referring to the unwise practice of posting detailed maps of apiary sites on open forum.

:rolleyes:Pirates... especially Tamar River Pirates... nick anything!

On the face of it the site looks fine, just hide the hives behind a hedge so they can't be seen. However, your mention of waterlogged ground raised alarm bells. I once lost 4 out of 8 colonies in a wet site one winter.

There is a saying that you won't know how a site will do until you put bees on it - so I suggest do just that. Providing the site is sheltered and gets a bit of sun each day it should be fine, but if the ground is wet, I suggest ensure the hives are raised as high as practical and look at any measures you can take to drain it. As the other beekeeping saying goes - it is not cold which kills bees but damp.

It would be interesting to find out what the bees do about the creek - will they fly across it when the tide is in or only when it is out or perhaps not at all? And will they collect water from the exposed mud?

My situation in Kingsbridge is not much different. We are by the sea twice a day as you are when the tide is in. The rest of the time it is an expanse of mud. My bees have thrived in the town but we are perhaps 30 feet above sea level even though we are only a 100 yards from the high water mark.

Google TQ7 1DE on Google maps. Zoom in and draw a line between The Coach House and Bass Player Tuition, either side of Ebrington Street and if you look very carefully at the point half way along the line you might see four pale rectangles which are actually 8 hives in pairs. They are directly south of a purple thing in flower - now long gone and slightly south of a line drawn due west from the round blue trampoline in the garden behind us.

But the hives have been moved now if anyone wants to steal them!

Interestingly, I can date the Google image to within a day as it was taken when I was putting up my large shed. Half of the roof was fitted at the time of the picture but it was all completed in one day. I wish they had told me and I would have worn a tie!

Last edited:

Exactly....the hives may keep any wondering scroats away if they decide to come along the shore.....to date, Ive not had any visits from this direction!

Edit - Removed postcose as I may get to post those pics very soon if my post counts keeps up!

On the face of it the site looks fine, just hide the hives behind a hedge so they can't be seen. However, your mention of waterlogged ground raised alarm bells. I once lost 4 out of 8 colonies in a wet site one winter.

Hi Rooftops - When I say waterlogged, its just the lawn tends to hold moisture so I dont tend to walk past it and prevent people and animals also doing so...as best I can!

There is a saying that you won't know how a site will do until you put bees on it - so I suggest do just that. Providing the site is sheltered and gets a bit of sun each day it should be fine, but if the ground is wet, I suggest ensure the hives are raised as high as practical and look at any measures you can take to drain it. As the other beekeeping saying goes - it is not cold which kills bees but damp.

I intend to raise the hive on block plinths with timber beams between to support the hives....the height I need some advice on!

It would be interesting to find out what the bees do about the creek - will they fly across it when the tide is in or only when it is out or perhaps not at all? And will they collect water from the exposed mud?

My situation in Kingsbridge is not much different. We are by the sea twice a day as you are when the tide is in. The rest of the time it is an expanse of mud. My bees have thrived in the town but we are perhaps 30 feet above sea level even though we are only a 100 yards from the high water mark.

Google TQ7 1DE on Google maps. Zoom in and draw a line between The Coach House and Bass Player Tuition, either side of Ebrington Street and if you look very carefully at the point half way along the line you might see four pale rectangles which are actually 8 hives in pairs. They are directly south of a purple thing in flower - now long gone and slightly south of a line drawn due west from the round blue trampoline in the garden behind us.

But the hives have been moved now if anyone wants to steal them!

Interestingly, I can date the Google image to within a day as it was taken when I was putting up my large shed. Half of the roof was fitted at the time of the picture but it was all completed in one day. I wish they had told me and I would have worn a tie!

Cant pin point it exactly, but I know Kingsbridge and I guess its very similar to the tidal estuary Im at, with the high tides not hanging about very long so long periods of mud! Will be interesting to observe their antics!

Edit button on the bottom near the quote button -you can only do it soon after it's posted - you're obviously time expired :)

Doh! But at least Ive got my post count up! :party:

Pics to follow.....

Last edited:
Option 1 - Hives near to the house

DSC07723.jpg

DSC07724.jpg

DSC07723.jpg

Option 2 - On the foreshore

Looking towards the house

DSC07727.jpg

DSC07726.jpg

Looking away from the (proposed) hive
DSC07728.jpg

The only snag i could think with the foreshore one is a combinaion of spring tide, flood water and high wind might put a lot of water airborne, but you'd know better actually living there :)

That was one of my concerns but the water only just encroaches on the said spot during very high springs but I intend to raise on block plinths so well clear of water level.

Wind is not really an issue as Im fairly sheltered, far less than an exposed field site.

Option 1 is my preference, it just the mixed opinions on garden hives Ive read thats swaying me towards Option 2.

Foreshore looks soggy, and possibly exposed to wind? I would be inclined to go for option 1, with option 2 as fall-back if problems arise.

Thanks chaps - Option 1 it is then, Option 2 as fall back! Just need to work on some plans for the stand now....I feel a new thread coming on, unless I can find the info in a search. Regards

Latest posts

Back