Another honey labelling petition

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the "blend of EU and non-EU honeys" labelling is ridiculous and should be replaced. I suspect however that people who are making lots of money out of "honey fraud" will find a way around anything that replaces it.

Is there any suggestion of how much difference the labelling really makes to UK producers? If the markets for people looking for a premium product and those who just want something that's cheap and sweet are pretty much distinct I'd not have thought it would matter to any huge degree.

James

Is there any suggestion of how much difference the labelling really makes to UK producers? If the markets for people looking for a premium product and those who just want something that's cheap and sweet are pretty much distinct I'd not have thought it would matter to any huge degree.
exactly - you have it in a nutcase

A blend of EU and non EU honeys simply means that the jar could conatin any old stuff from anywhere. It is worthwhile signing the petition - the more petititions are signed, the more chance that the government will actually do something. Governments don't respond strategically, but simply by how many votes they can get.

Haha, that came out days after I posted on their social media page slating the previous petition as vague and useless telling them they need to offer a solution not just whinge and then being contacted by a trustee.
The argument I gave them was that in blended honey the honeys therein are treated like ingredients and often done to a recipe.
If the honeys were treated as ingredients then every country of origin would have to be listed in highest percentage order on the label as with other labelling regs.
Seems they liked my argument.

Latest posts

Back