Amateur beekeepers ‘causing urban swarms’

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all over the T.V now... my perception seems a little negatives. what do others think??

Slow news day.

Last week it wouldnt have been mentioned.

Years of experience and degrees and research grants and the best they come up with is that bees swarm.............

Next week they'll be telling us that bees dance.

I was watching the Wright Stuff on Channel 5 and they were talking about this as well and it seems to always be the case that when 'journalists' comment on articles like the widespread number of swarms apparently in urban areas, that they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

They don't ask any expert as to why this happens and as a number of forum members have already said, no beekeeper would want to lose a swarm. If only it was that easy!! It could also be that some of the swarms which appear in all our cities are from feral colonies

I was watching the Wright Stuff on Channel 5 and they were talking about this as well and it seems to always be the case that when 'journalists' comment on articles like the widespread number of swarms apparently in urban areas, that they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

They don't ask any expert as to why this happens and as a number of forum members have already said, no beekeeper would want to lose a swarm. If only it was that easy!! It could also be that some of the swarms which appear in all our cities are from feral colonies

They read it on google from another news article.........quite often the quotes are the same.

Never mind. Vanishing bees.

Yes: the country is brown with them. As I've said, I HOPE it is due to evolution of the mite over 23 years but it may just be a couple of good springs, this end of the country at least.

Their next theme will be the boom in honeybees harming other pollinators. I certainly see fewer bumbles near my hives this year but that may be a cycle; there were hundreds 2 years ago.

The point of my question to Finman was supposed to be that he refers to bees vanishing.... Nobody said anything about bees vanishing so was he refering to the rubbish that the experts and newspapers write or that bees are decling in numbers.... The statement didnt specificaly refer to decline or swarms....
If you give thought that increase in urban beekeepers are allegedly reponsible for the rise in urban swarms, doesnt this mean that we now possibly have more bees than we were lead to believe we had a couple of years ago. A swarm goes on to hopefully set up somewhere else or is caught by another beek and therefore creates another colony..........They may have vansihed from the hive, but the urban beeks who are blamed for not looking after ther bees correctly are unwittingly helping the bee population of the UK....It is they who may not know that a swarm has issued from their hive and to them yes..they have vanished...

Lots of free bees?.. lets hope they are the hygienic ones from LASI and self remove varroa. Or we could get swarm collections in future that are loaded again.

The point of my question to Finman was supposed to be that he refers to bees vanishing.... Nobody said anything about bees vanishing so was he refering to the rubbish that the experts and newspapers write or that bees are decling in numbers.... The statement didnt specificaly refer to decline or swarms....
If you give thought that increase in urban beekeepers are allegedly reponsible for the rise in urban swarms, doesnt this mean that we now possibly have more bees than we were lead to believe we had a couple of years ago. A swarm goes on to hopefully set up somewhere else or is caught by another beek and therefore creates another colony..........They may have vansihed from the hive, but the urban beeks who are blamed for not looking after ther bees correctly are unwittingly helping the bee population of the UK....It is they who may not know that a swarm has issued from their hive and to them yes..they have vanished...

I disagree, how are they helping the bee population of the UK? They hsve nothing to do with other bees, unless youre meaning other honey bees. In which case they could be spreading varroa/nosema or other problems if they hadnt been looked after properly.

He's (Toerag) much easier to deal with if you put him on your ignore list. You only see his meaningless diatribe when someone else quotes it.
Works for me.

This is good from somebody who finds it amusing by name calling in the hope that other may follow them around the playground.

This is good from somebody who finds it amusing by name calling in the hope that other may follow them around the playground.

Do not go into amusement trap. Just do nothing. Do not make art with words. Relax on soffa.

Do not go into amusement trap. Just do nothing. Do not make art with words. Relax on soffa.

Like you Fin...I dont have time to relax....Just trying to stay alive and get older without too much effort...:icon_204-2:

I disagree, how are they helping the bee population of the UK? They hsve nothing to do with other bees, unless youre meaning other honey bees. In which case they could be spreading varroa/nosema or other problems if they hadnt been looked after properly.

One hive............a swarm leaves hive..........swarm is caught and put into a hive.........we now have two hives of bees which will both grow into full colonies ...... therefore we now have twice as many colonies. And so it goes on.
The fact that a hive swarms doent mean that they havent been looked after properly and that therefore they also have varroa.

Last edited:
Back