Amateur beekeepers ‘causing urban swarms’

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...harp-increase-hives-located-towns-cities.html

Amateur beekeepers ‘causing urban swarms’ -
Apols for the Daily Wail link.

Geraldine Wright, professor of insect neuroethology at the University of Newcastle, told the Daily Telegraph: ‘There are a lot more urban beekeepers than there used to be.
'A lot of these people are novice beekeepers and they’re not keeping track of what’s happening in the colony. You start to see queen cells in the colony and you need to get rid of the queen cells..

If you think its bad now, wait untill all these people get their flow hives .:icon_204-2:

It was also on Chris Evans show.

Lady beek said that new beeks are more likely to be on top of the swarm situation because they are more enthusiastic.

If you think its bad now, wait untill all these people get their flow hives .:icon_204-2:

From the same DM article...

"Francis Ratnieks, professor of apiculture at the University of Sussex, added: ‘If people are keeping bees in urban areas it could cause more swarms. Beekeepers try to prevent their hives swarming, and if they aren’t looking after their hives properly that could cause swarms.
‘Keeping honeybees is not as easy as people think. If you had a colony in a box in your garden it would swarm every year."

Flowhives? Popcorn time..

If you had a colony in a box in your garden it would swarm every year.

More free bees and increases the bee population,

but the most important point is one which applies to all beeks...

and if they aren’t looking after their hives properly that could cause swarms.

when you see the comments from most of these people that ordered them, clearly thinking they buy one & virtually get honey the next day, we are going to see a lot more problems, not just swarms but disease & virus's too.

when you see the comments from most of these people that ordered them, clearly thinking they buy one & virtually get honey the next day, we are going to see a lot more problems, not just swarms but disease & virus's too.

Why worry? Lots of free bees then..

And in a couple of years , lost of cheap flowhives..

yes, but no,but yes, but no

they have their own forum where they can ask questions, so I think they have all sussed by now it's not as easy as the video's show it to be

have noticed a few members here slate off another member for his posts concerning new beeks and their questions, all I can say is there's also lots of beekeepers here that are doing the same thing with new flow keepers, cast the first stone and all that stuff,

yes, but no,but yes, but no

they have their own forum where they can ask questions, so I think they have all sussed by now it's not as easy as the video's show it to be

have noticed a few members here slate off another member for his posts concerning new beeks and their questions, all I can say is there's also lots of beekeepers here that are doing the same thing with new flow keepers, cast the first stone and all that stuff,

Yes youre right but it is a fact , when you read comments on some links there are thousands of people saying they want one, lots of people tagging other people to come & look , clearly none of them beekeepers, & no intention of becoming beekeepers , they just want honey , i'm sure some people wont even realise you need bees in the flow hive to make honey. I'm not picking on an individusl with my comments, i am stating the obvious from lots of posts i have seen from around the world.

, all I can say is there's also lots of beekeepers here that are doing the same thing with new flow keepers, cast the first stone and all that stuff,

I've not noticed any flowhive keepers here. And there can't be any as none have been sold as far as I know..

So I think you are being unkind...:nono:

Mr Lovett of the BBKA managed to get a few minutes of airtime when 5Live discussed it just before 1pm.
Interview with the Maidstone lady who found her car "covered with bees". Spoke well of "the beekeeper" who picked out Q, boxed her and waited while they all trouped in to join her.

"Beekeepers" are people who do stuff to try and keep their bees.
They recognise that apart from losing a lot of bees (which if it came to it have, apart from anything else, a cash value) and those bees are fully tanked-up on honey, which is another loss.
Beekeepers do try - whether or not they succeed - to keep their bees.

BUT, there are others who think bees should be hived and then "left alone" ... :rolleyes: For a year or two, they are responsible for a fair bit of swarming.

Thing I'd (almost) agree with Ratnieks on, is that bees do rather well in urban areas. Rather better than in most of the countryside.

If you had a colony in a box in your garden it would swarm every year.

and being somewhere else would mean it wouldnt?

No wonder. 90% out of British beekeepers are amateurs.

I'm a gentleman and not a player. None of this professional stuff..

Hurumph...:paparazzi::paparazzi::paparazzi::paparazzi:

Latest posts

Back