Allotment Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,

If you have your pal pop one of your hives on her allotment, much as has been said, then the other beekeeper will not be able to say anything while you don't put any bees in it.

Fitted out as a bait hive, your beekeeper can chase his swarm as much as he likes, but keep it in sight or not, if they take up residence in your bait hive, then he has lost them as they have been hived by yourself. He couldn't complain about you keeping bees then as he will have effectively aided and abetted you in doing so.

If nothing else it will make him very determined not to lose a swarm this year and will probably give you something to talk about . . . probably not good advice, but worth thinking about. You never know, you might get a swarm from elsewhere take up residence and you can always suggest/taunt that it might just have been one of his earlier in the season. :)

I have been speaking to other Allotment Holders today, and it seems I am not the first to have had problems with Mr Grump Bee.
One lady informed me that she did a Bee keeping course, but when she attempted to place Bees on the Allotment Mr Grump Bee put a stop to it.
It seems that there is a limit to the amount of Hives allowed on the Allotment site, and he wants all of them!

However
I had an interesting conversation with a fellow Beekeeper at our convention today, that has restored my faith in Human nature.
I mentioned that my friend had wanted a Hive on their Allotment but had been unsuccessfull.
This Gentleman informed me that he has Bees on another Allotment site in the City, and would welcome someone share it with him.
:cheers2:

I am off to look at another Allotment site this morning.

Our local organisation was contacted by the Allotment keepers,
who have asked if it is possible to have Bees on their site.

bee-smillie

Hi Steve This sounds promising it will be good if they are offering a part of the site not to close to plots so that it will give you and the bees a bit of breathing space as you know important at times.
I have a new site on a community allotment site a very big site with a good space for two and the inevitable expansion to four at times the deal with this is the site is focused on education and learning so I will be part teacher god help them.

Steve,

Fitted out as a bait hive, your beekeeper can chase his swarm as much as he likes, but keep it in sight or not, if they take up residence in your bait hive, then he has lost them as they have been hived by yourself. He couldn't complain about you keeping bees then as he will have effectively aided and abetted you in doing so.

:)

Steve, I would re-enforce Hombre's suggestion, it deals with a number of issues at the same time and gives you an 'in'.

See other threads for setting up bait hives, the one thing you really need is pre-used gear and old comb. Best route is buy an old second hand hive, I got my first off ebay, complete with comb, early June and 3 hours later (yes 3 hours) I had a swarm and all I had done was put it together to see how it works ..... lucky - yes sure, but it shows the principle works.

Pro's
- Local allotment holders can get used to the idea of a hive near by before it becomes active
- Swarmed bees are usually as docile as they get - neighbours first experience should be a very good one and will continue to be while they focus on establishment and comb creation
- While there are no bees Mr Grumpy doesn't have a leg to stand on
- Hopefully when there are bees (all the sweeter if they are 'his' bees) he has still been scuppered and because of no drama your girl friend has local support
- since you are not the allotment owner you do need to communicate through her though - is she up for this?

Thanks Rosti.
Fortunately I do have another option, which I have just been to view.
Its on an allotment less than 2 miles from where I live,
and there was a Beekeeper there in the past who has now retired.
Pictures to follow

sdc10472o.jpg

Spot the site?

sdc10475f.jpg

And this is where the Hive would go... after the brambles are cut down

Looks ok Steve a bit of a well warn path is it a regular dog walkers path or the short cut to allotment toilet if so dont eat any black berrys from the waist down

sdc10476o.jpg

This is what the Bees would see as they leave their Hive

Looks ok Steve a bit of a well warn path is it a regular dog walkers path or the short cut to allotment toilet if so dont eat any black berrys from the waist down

Probably the latter.
It doesnt go anywhere.
I think maybe to a compost heap at some time.

The Field on the other side of the allotments has Horses in it
and it is separated by a fence, and a stream.
So apart from some hard physical labour to begin with it does appear very promising.

Latest posts

Back