allotment eviction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbadger07

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 colonies
I been told to remove my hives as they have swarmed twice in three years and had one complainent constantly moaning.

I now have to source some land.

Can anyone assist me as I live in barnoldswick.

Any allotment holdersshoukd take heed don't get bees.

Explain to them that you cant just move them and you will have to wait until they stop flying, before you can do so.

Sorry to hear that badger, this has been a very swarmy year, swarms have swarmed. If you do manage to move them, don't let on to anyone and as dishmop suggests, say you can't move them...etc, but leave a couple of empty hives as swarm catchers (with old comb/lemongrass oil). There are two benefits here, one: you may actually attract a swarm or two which you can quickly move to your new apiary and two: the old git who complained will still blame you for every effin bee that comes to his allotment and then you will be able to show the committee that the hives are actually empty.

I'm afraid I learnt a few years ago that bees and people don't mix so well.

Personally I recommend a trip round your local farmers. You should find one that is more than happy to have bees on his land.

My local farmer has bent over backwards to help me and he realises the value of having bees for his crops!

Failing that look for houses with very big gardens / advertise locally.

** Just to add, the size that some of my colonies reach in the height of Summer I would not want them too near anybody. Not because any of them are too defensive but because I see the amount of bee traffic in the air on a hot Summers day and some people would immediately panic!
I'm really happy that some weeds have grown tall and just about hide my hives from the field that a local show will happen in at the end of the month!!

Last edited:
One of our allotment members thinks that bees should not be on allotments.....not sure how he thinks pollination happens!!

He also has a friend helping him who doesn't like to get her hands dirty while 'working' on their plot. I'm afraid its the way of the world. :rolleyes:

They probably also only want straight bananas and carrots.

...locally.

** Just to add, the size that some of my colonies reach in the height of Summer I would not want them too near anybody. Not because any of them are too defensive but because I see the amount of bee traffic in the air on a hot Summers day and some people would immediately panic!
I'm really happy that some weeds have grown tall and just about hide my hives from the field that a local show will happen in at the end of the month!!
Not all.
luckily I have some neighbours who think a swarm in flight is magnificent
(which it is!)
I wish all neighbours were like these

Not all.
luckily I have some neighbours who think a swarm in flight is magnificent
(which it is!)
I wish all neighbours were like these

That's why I said some.

They vary from my farmer who even righted one of my hives, without any PPE, over winter when it had blown over and I was away from home to some of the people I get calls from that almost scream at me that there are a few bees in their garden and they want them removed!

I will go out of my way to talk to people who want to listen and reassure them that bees are NOT dangerous then again I have almost no time for people like the neighbour of someone that called me out to a swarm a few weeks ago. When I walked round the back of the house he was throwing stones at the swarm that had been on a small shrub when I was called until he doused them with his hosepipe!!!!

I saved as many as I could and even found the dead queen on the ground.

Needless to say, those that I did save had to be combined to a swarm I fetched the previous day.

One last point, since when did people stop learning the difference between honey bees, bumblebees and wasps???!!!!

That's why I said some.

One last point, since when did people stop learning the difference between honey bees, bumblebees and wasps???!!!!

some ... agreed

I think they stopped learning when the primary school teacher who took children into the woods and meadows to learn about birds and bees was no longer considered innocent.

That said this weekend I remarked there was alot of honeybees on the majoram by the house entrance, my sister in law(in her 40's) replied "how can you tell they are honeybees and not wasps"
A quick practical lesson in spotting various pollinators enssued.

I've chosen to remove my bees off my allotment pre-emptively this year. There's always one grumpy gut on every allotment site, and this year he has chosen to single out my 2 neighbours and me for his attentions. He will sneak onto allotments and take produce, spread rumours of unalloyed behaviour, and just generally make trouble for whoever he picks each year.

I suspect he may well have a sneaky lift of a roof if I don't move them, and while the thought of him getting a few stings is nice it wouldn't be worth the hassle afterwards.

Having been on allotments for a few years now I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth doing anything slightly out of the ordinary on them, it's too much aggravation

When I had my bees on an allotment, a couple who kept bees also decided they were going to take a frame of eggs from my hive, without asking, to check if their bees were Q-. They took a frame bang from the middle of the brood box and guess what? You guessed it, they took my queen. I was livid!

What happened to democracy, if it's only one then surely he would have been out voted, "send him to the tower". You could try Gumtree, or knocking doors and believe me it does work.

They never did know.

Just goes to show how stupid people are.

Throwing stones at bees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet the stone thrower doesnt even have the sense to realise that if they got stung it would more than likely be because............

answers on a postcard to....

When I had my bees on an allotment, a couple who kept bees also decided they were going to take a frame of eggs from my hive, without asking, to check if their bees were Q-. They took a frame bang from the middle of the brood box and guess what? You guessed it, they took my queen. I was livid!

I hope you reported them..

I confronted them when they came noseying at one of my inspections. They scuttled off sheepishly. I don't think they meant any harm, they had no clue. Really, no clue. They lost so many colonies and gave up after their second year. I was new to the allotments and they were long time members so it came to nothing in the end. As furious as I was, I ended up rearing my own queen which I was very proud of, so it taught me something. She really was a beauty.

That's why I said some.

You should ask, did they stop learning or, has someone stopped teaching. It's largely due to parenting!

Some of the kids I was at school with couldn't even recognise a stinging nettle!

Had some fun introducing them though. :smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I bet some poor, (overpaid) teacher has had to risk assess the likelihood of anaphylactic shock via nettle stings!

These days they all spend their time on f-book or the latest computer game, (the kids too)!

Latest posts

Back