Alergic reaction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angiey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all. Just looking for advice. On Sunday evening through circumstances I was stung approximately 12 times. 7 of which were on my face. Not pretty. Immediately after it I experienced shortness of breath pains in my chest, wheezing, feeling faint, came out in an almighty rash with bumps all over. My face is still very swollen but the rash etc went overnight. I am assuming this was an alergic reaction. I was just wondering if it was the volume of stings that caused it or am I likely to experience it again with just one bee sting. Has anyone else experienced this. I have two hives. Maybe its time to stop beekeeping as I dont want to experience this again. Thanks

Our association had a member with a similar reaction. She did not mention the episode and next Apiary meeting was stung and had to be hospitalised. Now undergoing densenitisation treatment which takes months.

I suggest a doctor's visit... ASAP

And if you want to do any beekeeping, full gear including gloves... And mobile phone. And someone beside you to carry you to the ambulance.

You probably should have sought medical attention at the time:

Unfortunately, a few people are potentially allergic to bee stings. Such persons, instead of developing immunity, become severely allergic after a few stings. Their symptoms (associated with a serious generalised reaction) include widespread red blotching of the skin, skin irritation, a change in heart rate with a falling blood pressure, difficulty breathing and fainting.
Such symptoms require urgent medical attention. A person who becomes unconscious as the result of a bee sting can die

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm?pageid=216

Were you on your own? I can imagine it would have been really scary.

There's a brilliant discussion of allergies and desensitisation treatment here. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=21905

Good luck, but you really should get some medical advice - doesn't automatically rule you out, as you'll see in this thread (it's actually a sticky at the top of the general forum).

T

Same reaction for me on the face, neck and head. No reaction if stung on fingers legs and wrists, slight swelling on upper arms when stung. Your first half hour is the most critical stage, seek help if your tongue and lips start swelling. I hyperventilate is stung in the head region, rash goes away after 3 hours. Doctor advised taking anti-histamine tablets I am not eligible for an epipen yet.

Speak to a medical professional.

As others - speak to your doctor.

I'm not allergic to bee stings but do suffer from hay fever (i.e. proper grass pollen allergy) and so always have a few anti-histamines in the house at this time of year, which I would take immediately if I got more than a couple of stings at once. Better safe than sorry.

See your doctor.
Get your reaction quantified by a RAST test.

Following that, you may need to be discussing epipens and desensitisation therapy.

Any "systemic" reaction - away from the location of the sting(s) - needs a proper medical opinion.

Excellent advice about carrying a mobile. Better still to have apiary location details (like exact GPS coordinates) for your apiary to hand so that you can be found by an Ambulance, should it come to that.
A bee-buddy being around during inspections is a simple and effective safety precaution - particularly after such an episode.

Latest posts

Back