Air source heat pumps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have any experience of air source heat pumps? Pros and cons please. My parents have been considering one. They currently rely on an oil fired boiler for heating. Thanks

There's someone on here who seems to be a bit of a guru in all things solar, ashp etc. so they may be able to help. but for the life of me I cant remember who.

Just hijacking a little rather than create another thread, so if they see this , I too could do with some helpful input too.

I'm looking to the future, and would like some unbiased advice from someone, rather than a salesman, who all seem a bit snake oily on this.
I live in a converted fairly open plan barn, with LPG boiler and wet underfloor heating, plus a log burner, got a few pitched roofs facing wsw, and one small facing due south, so looking to explore all the options.

I'm looking to the future, and would like some unbiased advice from someone, rather than a salesman, who all seem a bit snake oily on this.

you need a very well-insulated property to start with. For old properties such as ours that's quite a stumbling block.

James
Yes, soon after ASHPumps come in about 10 years ago we were visited by a pair of salesmen who tried to persuade us that our dwelling would be ideal - despite the fact that our property is 600 years old, of wattle and daub construction, and inevitably poorly insulated.......
BTW, at least it is still standing and waterproof - unlike our local hospital, built 1970s, which is ""promised"" for replacement because of RACC

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience of air source heat pumps? Pros and cons please. My parents have been considering one. They currently rely on an oil fired boiler for heating. Thanks
I instaled my ASHP to my ex local authority semi 10 years ago and it has been as efficient and cost effective as gas. (I also have gas at the property so could have installed standard gas CH but as my company was selling renewables at the time I though I should put my money where my mouth was.)
To ensure the heating is effective the house has to be insulated to the best you can get it. Walls, floors and roof.
You will need radiators approximately twice the size of ones for gas/oil as the flow temperatures will be half.
When I installed mine I got the RHI which meant that systems (including insulation) had to be between 240 & 370% efficient which dictated the size of the RHI.
Living with an ASHP is slightly different as background temperatures have to be maintained and windows are rarely opened wide during winter as recovery time is long with low flow temperatures.
IMHO if you can insulate a property well and you are heating with oil or lpg at present you can’t lose with a ASHP
I would recommend getting several companies to quote and compare their designs.

Latest posts

Back