air freshener introduction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used an air freshener to introduce a virgin queen before. Usually the use of air fresheners is for combining hives, one of which must be queen less.

Actually we combine colonies regularly without making one queenless. It works just fine. You do the dequeening bit though if there is one of the queens you definitely DONT want to be the one remaining after the 'sort out' that will take place.

Actually we combine colonies regularly without making one queenless. It works just fine. You do the dequeening bit though if there is one of the queens you definitely DONT want to be the one remaining after the 'sort out' that will take place.

Can you explain to us all exactly how you do that, do you just put them together?
Thanks

Can you explain to us all exactly how you do that, do you just put them together?
Thanks

He already did Enrico in a previous thread. Yes, they just stick them together and let them battle it out.
IIRC there was an 85% chance of the youngest queen winning the battle. In a commercial situation that is pretty good odds.

He already did Enrico in a previous thread. Yes, they just stick them together and let them battle it out.
IIRC there was an 85% chance of the youngest queen winning the battle. In a commercial situation that is pretty good odds.

Thanks, must have missed it.
E

The thread was 'two queens' and you posted in it! :D

Nothing wrong with forgetting thing's when you have a busy life, i do it on a daily basis, i start one of many job's then jump onto another and so on, in the end all them jobs are half finished , i do exactly the same on these Forums.. i'm a member on several groups and it sure is hard to keep up to scratch during busy times.. ;)

No it's not - a colony will usually ignore a virgin when she first runs in.
As long as she's under 24hrs and emerged in an incubator. If she's older.or has hive scent you might get her through the door but she won't last a week.

Nothing wrong with forgetting thing's when you have a busy life, i do it on a daily basis, i start one of many job's then jump onto another and so on, in the end all them jobs are half finished , i do exactly the same on these Forums.. i'm a member on several groups and it sure is hard to keep up to scratch during busy times.. ;)

Aye, but Enrico's a lot brighter than you. :biggrinjester:;)

It would seem that no forum member has used air freshener to introduce a virgin Q to a Q- nuc.

It would seem that no forum member has used air freshener to introduce a virgin Q to a Q- nuc.

I have run several in through the entrance of mini mating nucs: they survived.. Just emerged within 1 day of emergence - caged in finisher hive.

I have sometimes used it when introducing queens, but never on its own and only when introduction conditions were optimal. At worst it did no harm and it may well have had a beneficial effect.

Latest posts

Back