Agony Ivy what to do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E1M

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Our Bees are going mad, the ivy is in full blossom and everywhere in our village.
They come back with their saddlebags full to overflowing and have been like this for over a week now, even in the rain.
Our problem is, we believe they are running out of storage space and possibly nowhere for the Queen to lay if she feels so inclined. So, today, we removed the varoa treatment and on the largest colony, added a super.
I know, I know, your all going to say we are wrong, but, we are only thinking of them in that crowded wooden box.
Question is what advice can all of you who know far more than us, give regarding going into the winter months.
Should we remove the second super and if so what do we do with the stores? It may be tainted with the apiguard.

Ian,
all mine went through last winter on single brood box only.
Mine too are coming in loaded and probably getting it from your village.
Not sure you are now saying you are on brood and half and another super or just a brood and a super on top.
If I was adding a super I would put it under the brood with no QE and if its warm enough the queen will go down and use it,if there is too much stores the bees will use it, if not it will just be a barrier between the outside and the warm cluster.
If you think they are running out of space have a look or heft the hive.
I looked in most of mine at the weekend, quick look just 4,5,6th frames, you can generally see from the top whats going on.
I would have left it off as believe the treatment to be more important right now.
Hefting time soon.........
Pete D
give me a call anytime or pop round if I can help or lead you astray !

At this time of the year the queen's laying rate should be less than the emergence rate - so every day she needs less cells than have become vacant.
Consequently, I wouldn't worry. They are unlikely to swarm ... yes, unlikely is a reasonable choice of word!

Something you might consider doing is pulling the odd (brood) frame of fully capped stores and giving them an empty one - even one with foundation if you have no drawn comb. Then store the loaded frame/s (carefully, via the freezer) for use with a split or such next year. Or even for late winter/spring feeding if they manage to go light.

Some people (or so I am told) particularly do like Ivy Honey - so taking a crop of it may be no bad thing!
Its a distinctive product that people can't buy in supermarkets!

Sealed honey will keep.
Ivy honey is edible but strong-tasting.
A super of tainted ivy honey can be put under the brood box before winter for stores.

Agree, our household loves it and we know loads others who do too. Also some who hate it, marmite comes to mind, yuk!

oops. agree with Itma:.)

Last edited:
Last year I fed back some unripened summer honey to some hives as they were foraging on the Ivy. The result was a lovely tasting honey that sold well. Some people like strong tasting honeys and any flow we get in this climate is to be welcomed.

Our problem is, we believe they are running out of storage space and possibly nowhere for the Queen to lay if she feels so inclined. So, today, we removed the varoa treatment and on the largest colony, added a super.

Hi there,
This is where us newbies need to inspect otherwise we do the wrong thing. I thought or believed as you did. Did I get a surprise today when I inspected. Only one colony was doing very well with stores and capping them. However, they were all raising winter bees and therefore needed the pollen! No wonder they are frantic! By the time I removed 'supers' they were already in the brood box! Have you checked!

Last edited:
They come back with their saddlebags full to overflowing and have been like this for over a week now, even in the rain.

Apologies for a slight tangent but please take note. Bees do fly in the rain if there's a flow on. I've lost count of the times I've read about bees confined to their hives this summer by the rain. They weren't. It was lack of a flow due to low temperatures that made them stay in.

Hi there,
However, they were all raising winter bees !

I sometimes wonder, ' are these Winter bees they are rearing or not yet?' Sometimes Winter comes sooner. In some hives the queens are still laying a lot and in others the brood nest has already contracted. So apart from getting the microscope out and looking for fat bodies, how do we know if they are Winter bees?

I sometimes wonder, ' are these Winter bees they are rearing or not yet?' Sometimes Winter comes sooner. In some hives the queens are still laying a lot and in others the brood nest has already contracted. So apart from getting the microscope out and looking for fat bodies, how do we know if they are Winter bees?

Hi Lorenz,
By definition they must be winter bees as Ivy is the last major pollen source for raising brood. Not to mention 'they know what they are doing' and the bee inspector said so.:)

The winter bees will be those that have not fed a round of brood in their development. The winter bees may well be those which are still not emerged, but dependent on how long any good autumn weather may last.The weather will determinre which bees will over-winter, those there now, or not even yet brooded.

Back