AFB found in Leicestershire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I received this email last night from the chairman of the L & RBBKA

AFB (American Foul Brood) found in Leicestershire

I have just been advised (8 July) by our local Bees Inspector, Dave Bonner, that AFB has been found in an apiary in the 10Km square SK51/61, that covers places to the East of Loughborough up to Queniborough.

Beekeepers on Beebase that have asked for automatic notification will get emails advising them of this as soon as the incident is loaded to the system.

Dave Bonner has requested our help to support him in the follow up he is required to do by:
· Advising members to register on Beebase if they have not done so
· Allowing him to do inspections in members absence, rather than organise specific times, which would be greatly appreciated as it speeds up the process significantly.

I would urge all members to use BeeBase, (the NBU website https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/index.cfm ) both for general help and advice on keeping bees – it contains a massive amount of articles and publications to help with keeping bees and which do not require registration to view and also to register your details.
Registering provides you with the details of your own inspections (only you and Ministry staff can see this) and helps when disease is found in tracking down possible affected apiaries.

Similarly I would ask that any beekeepers affected by the above AFB incident by having apiaries close by, assist Dave by allowing him access as he requires.

I haven't heard anymore. The map reference covers a wideish area and I am about 5 miles away from one edge. I haven't had a call yet from the bee inspector, but am sure he will be visiting this year now because of this.

Frisbee

oh...just seen your location :) where abouts are you then?

Allowing him to do inspections in members absence, rather than organise specific times, which would be greatly appreciated as it speeds up the process significantly.

I would urge all members to use BeeBase, the NBU website

Similarly I would ask that any beekeepers affected by the above AFB incident by having apiaries close by, assist Dave by allowing him access as he requires.

Do these inspectors wash suits, sterilise hive tools between apiaries (they've just inspected potential AFB infection and possibly others)

and

do they sterilise tools and gloves between hives.

Has anybody got a copy of NBU or Fera regs or guidelines which controls inspectors conduct. Do they place a requirement that beek details, especially the location of apiaries, remain confidential?

For us, WE will supply the inspector with a clean suit, hive tool and gloves.

We would not allow inspections in our absence.

Arranging times is simple.

If NBU needs expedience, they can bring in more inspectors.

Allowing anyone, particularly government workers, free access to your property and belongings, WILL cause you problems.

Citizens have precious little in the way of Rights, don't throw them away.

NBU website is pretty dismal and their map ........ what is that, never works properly.

Last edited:
Gloves are nitrile disposable

All hive tools etc are stored in washing soda.

Smokers are wiped down with washing soda as are boots (maybe they are soaked)

Not sure about bee suits but I suspect that in the case of suspected disease they would be covered by Tyvek disposables - normal inspections are just with a 'clean' suit each day.

But that doesn't stop a hive going queenless after a 'healthy' inspection :(

It would be appropriate to have a copy of their guidelines/code of conduct freely available on NBU website.

I can appreciate why he'd want easy access with his (probably massively) increased workload, but should my local inspector ask for this I would have to respectfully decline as that would involve leaving areas available for the local ratbags to get into, where they may not be seen doing damage/breaking into property.

I haven't heard anymore. The map reference covers a wideish area and I am about 5 miles away from one edge. I haven't had a call yet from the bee inspector, but am sure he will be visiting this year now because of this.

Frisbee

oh...just seen your location :) where abouts are you then?

I am south of the city - LE8 Countesthorpe. I've only been keeping for 3 or so years and the is the first time AFB has occurred so close.

I have been keeping an eye on them and so far no sign of it...

I have tried to re-register on the data base and no mail yet so....

PH

Thank you for those, I already have them.

However, it is the guidelines/code of conduct papers issued to bee inspectors by Fera or NBU that I was referring to.

On what basis do you believe that separate documents exist?

Dont think they have to have your permission if there is suspected AFB I think they can gain entry.

On what basis do you believe that separate documents exist?

Formalisation

Veg, that is why beekeepers need to see the formalisation docs. Believe you are correct but not just on outbreak of disease.

Perhaps this: the Heather Brooke method is the best way forward

Last edited:
I was at the final session of the LRBKA beginners' course yesterday. The latest news is that AFB has only been found in one hive in Syston (iirc). The SBI is visiting all colonies within 3 miles.

Paul

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back