Advice on moving WBC hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duchy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
4 hives and 2-4 nucs
I need to move my hives, as the bees have been bothering my neighbours. Had a go tonight, but had to abandon. Managed to move a small hive, without any problems.

2nd Hive has a stand, brood and a half and a super. I considered this too tall/heavy to move in one go. Took the super off, but bees wer in full attack mode. getting followed, stung etc. Took me at least 3 goes to try and put the hive and outer lifts back together.

3rd hive even taller. However, I have a clearer board on there at the moment, so hopefully I can take 2 supers off tomorrow, and then I should be able to manage to move this hive.

I had waited till after 9 pm to move them, but hive no2. (1.5 brood) has so many bees in it, I don't quite see how I move this hive in one go?

I would be grateful for any tips...

Thanks

why not wait till dark, bung up the entrance, strap together with a ratchet strap and get someone to help lift/carry

I would agree but to save weight remove the roof and all but the porch lift while moving. This ensures the brood, supers and crownboard are securely strapped to the floor.

I recommend preparing the hive during the day by:
- Removing all lifts
- Strapping boxes firmly to the floor
- And finally using copious amounts of duct tape to make the whole thing bee tight.

Then shut the entrance after dark and move.

As for the size and weight, if the bees won't all fit into the BB, can you replace any full supers with empty ones?

moving WBC

Thanks everybody. Will have another go in a few days!!

Latest posts

Back