Abelo's new hive colours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can quite honestly say I have never been involved in the original design process of either the old or the new type Abelo hive.....I might be guilty of exaggerating being asked my opinions of what my thoughts were on what features made a good hive....mainly as a counter to someone suggesting no thought went into it. A lot of thought did...

As was said wisely many posts ago too many "experts" and too many "opinions" about what the perfect hive is.
No such beast.

So you told a porky.

So you told a porky.

In your dreams matey..... I was asked an opinion. It had a part to play. You suggested I was intimately involved in the design of the Abelo poly hive. Wrong.
Although I can't wait to get my hands on one of the new designs...I'm after the pink one....

Last edited:
That's why I like my underfloor entrances, gives the best of both worlds - same 18x18" footprint as the brood boxes but with the convenience of the landing 'lobby' which also helps with finding the entrance in a sharp crosswind.

I'm not clear here Jenks how an entrance flush to the brood box helps save bees that hit above and drop...surely it needs to protrude to do this? i.e a landing board?

the efficiency of getting an extra 20 hives on a trailer isn't a concern for you or most of us hobbyists. Landing boards are not a waste.

Any human consumption beyond the essential is unnecessary use of materials and energy, whether we're talking of hives or hairdryers or hardhats, and it's up to the individual to work out where to sit on the ethical consumer fence, but there's no getting away from it: there's a deal of difference between want and need: a hive needs an entrance; some want to spend extra on a landing board but it is not needed for efficient operation of the hive. So it goes: humans consume more as we veer toward extinction, a result of consumption replacing necessity. Am I saying that adding an entrance board means that The End looms larger? Well, if we apply want rather than need to other aspects of our lives, then I do, but readily admit that over the years I've contributed to that unnecessary use of materials and energy. However, now that Greta Thunberg sits on my shoulder...

20? If we need to move that number (of the 150 I manage with another for a commercial man) most can fit into the Vivaro with the back doors tied slightly open; not ideal, but thankfully we don't move to pollination and trailers are not (yet) needed. When I began with him two years ago I ran hobby setups and I was intrigued to find that he ran his bees on need - mainly to save cash, but also (important, this) because he hadn't been through the hobby training machine, so thought only of essentials : plain floor; boxes; a roof. No supers, no QX, no CB, and certainly no landing boards! Works well, of course.

There are no experts here and certainly not enough opinions, but though this exchange of views may ruffle feathers :) my part in it aims not for the unattainable perfect hive but for a simpler, leaner hive, in a world which has to operate on similar lines.

Any human consumption beyond the essential is unnecessary use of materials and energy, whether we're talking of hives or hairdryers or hardhats, and it's up to the individual to work out where to sit on the ethical consumer fence, but there's no getting away from it: there's a deal of difference between want and need: a hive needs an entrance; some want to spend extra on a landing board but it is not needed for efficient operation of the hive. So it goes: humans consume more as we veer toward extinction, a result of consumption replacing necessity. Am I saying that adding an entrance board means that The End looms larger? Well, if we apply want rather than need to other aspects of our lives, then I do, but readily admit that over the years I've contributed to that unnecessary use of materials and energy. However, now that Greta Thunberg sits on my shoulder...

20? If we need to move that number (of the 150 I manage with another for a commercial man) most can fit into the Vivaro with the back doors tied slightly open; not ideal, but thankfully we don't move to pollination and trailers are not (yet) needed. When I began with him two years ago I ran hobby setups and I was intrigued to find that he ran his bees on need - mainly to save cash, but also (important, this) because he hadn't been through the hobby training machine, so thought only of essentials : plain floor; boxes; a roof. No supers, no QX, no CB, and certainly no landing boards! Works well, of course.

There are no experts here and certainly not enough opinions, but though this exchange of views may ruffle feathers :) my part in it aims not for the unattainable perfect hive but for a simpler, leaner hive, in a world which has to operate on similar lines.
If you want a leaner hive just use nucs..no brainer really..:rolleyes:

I'm not clear here Jenks how an entrance flush to the brood box helps save bees that hit above and drop...surely it needs to protrude to do this? i.e a landing board?
the entrance is two and a half inches high - a cavern for a bee, they just fly in and either pop up into the entrance or land/crash on the floor of the lobby.

Any human consumption beyond the essential is unnecessary use of materials and energy, whether we're talking of hives or hairdryers or hardhats, and it's up to the individual to work out where to sit on the ethical consumer fence.
I'm sure Greta would be overjoyed at your insistence on using up the world's fossil fuels producing poly hives.
Wood is far more sustainable with less environmental impact, in fact can be beneficial to the environment through carbon capture for one if managed properly.

Here is one of mine
The lobby is not quite as deep as JBM’s floors
The entrance is a slot at the top 6 inches back.

Attachments

• 42F2CD4D-E720-4E9C-A3D5-AAE2241A2E4B.jpeg
    42F2CD4D-E720-4E9C-A3D5-AAE2241A2E4B.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 45
That's why I like my underfloor entrances, gives the best of both worlds - same 18x18" footprint as the brood boxes but with the convenience of the landing 'lobby' which also helps with finding the entrance in a sharp crosswind.

:iagree:

Last edited:
Maybof been asked in the thread earlier but didn't see....

Does Abelo have christmas sales on normally please?

my part in it aims not for the unattainable perfect hive but for a simpler, leaner hive, in a world which has to operate on similar lines.

If I'm reading you right you are saying chop off your landing board and save the planet.:rolleyes: :biggrinjester:
:xmas-smiley-016:

Well you lot have convinced me. I shall try a couple next year, but with the old roof and a home made UFE floor

Well you lot have convinced me. I shall try a couple next year, but with the old roof and a home made UFE floor

But the burning question Dani!
With or without a landing board?????...... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm sure Greta would be overjoyed at your insistence on using up the world's fossil fuels producing poly hives.
Wood is far more sustainable with less environmental impact, in fact can be beneficial to the environment through carbon capture for one if managed properly.

An interesting topic: I thought that a paper bag was better than using a plastic one, but apparently making a paper bag leaves a bigger environmental footprint. The latest option of biodegradable plastic bags (the BBKA and BFA deliver their mags in them) are probably the way forward.

Plastic is never going to disappear; we must aim to use less and trust that the manufacture of it evolves to be more sustainable. Longevity of use is the crucial factor: a poly hive that lasts 30 years is a more valid use of an oil-based product than one that packages a Christmas toy from China or a box of blueberries from Brazil.

Having said that, I've just spent more hours than is sensible watching Youtube videos of how to use a table saw effectively. Horses for courses.

The latest option of biodegradable plastic bags (the BBKA and BFA deliver their mags in them)
No they don't - the bags the BFA and BBKA use are not plastic - they are starch based (that's the whole point - not to use oil based materials)
as for longevity of use, still seeing fully functional wooden kit at auctions that was produced before the second world war.

No they don't - the bags the BFA and BBKA use are not plastic - they are starch based (that's the whole point - not to use oil based materials)
as for longevity of use, still seeing fully functional wooden kit at auctions that was produced before the second world war.

Yes, you're right: I should have excluded the word plastic, and yes, wood that old is still useful. The best result was when I found a few cedar supers that were at least forty years old when they were abandoned in a Kent orchard for a further twenty years. Still in use today.

Latest posts

Back