Abelo's new hive colours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet that most hives in the Europe has very similar frame size to British National frame.

A strange comment from someone who runs two different types of hive, both of which have several options!

What do you mean by British National frame formats compared to European hive formats they all have frames and boxes ?

For a start British National frames have inordinately long lugs meaning you have a choice of having two of the four sides of the box either twice as thick to accomodate the lugs (as in the original National hive) or (as we have in the modified national which is now the UK standard) the top and bottom rails on the boxes which makes construction way more fiddly - look at all the other wooden hives in the world - four simple flat sides usually comb jointed together.
Do a bit of research and see for yourself

We have rather crucified ourselves with several rather silly quirks for British beekeeping long lugs being 1 of them. Imagine how much simpler/cheaper any box design poly or wood could be. How about a smith poly!!

When I started, my mentor used commercial brood boxes and national supers. I could not easily handle the short lugged frames, so when it came to buying my own hives I went National. It would not make any difference to me now.

I'll bet your old volvo estate (like mine) could move 4 hives max with any sized landing board...bit of a height restriction.....
I now have a truck and can move 6 hives in one go.

So basically the landing boards make no difference to the number of hives I can load nor do they do so to the vast majority of beekeepers. So no waste of space for the vast majority.

6 in the 940, a layer of 6 supers on top, a load of minor gear around that, at least ten boxes on the 8x4 roof rack, and all at very fast speeds and heated leather armchairs. Mmmm! (until the ULEZ kills the 940 in two years).

Landing boards not a waste? Waste of wood, effort, money. All are in short supply round here.

Had a delivery of my uncapping machine and screw press from Abelo this morning and they had a xmas gift for me....

... A new Abelo design national hive! How nice is that! Thanks Damian.

Looks solid. Here's a few pics.
9a980ac9bab36c2f4b6bfbf409ccf448.jpg
7ce2e50ecb949a2972ad3d76fca5553f.jpg
6639f6661e6d990d47c93448b1274810.jpg
79e3be607248eaa3adf957754b5d2776.jpg
0370258b280fa940b9da9ed7ef8c9b80.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Out of interest, are there any major differences between the Abelo designs and those sold in Europe by Lyson? If not my guess is that the design may be heavily influenced by the requirements of continental bee keepers (possibly a much bigger market) for Lyson rather than the smaller UK market for Abelo products.

Post 17: Compare the new Abelo National with the Dadant sold in Poland. Apart from the dimensions, there's no difference.

Bear in mind that Lyson is an international business (exports worldwide) and there's a brand benefit to conformity of design, so that's not at issue. The core of the matter is that none of the poly manufacturers can resist tarting up a plain and effective box with fiddly flourishes that detract from simple operation (see above pic of BMH's new Abelo design). Says to me that Lyson haven't heard of the principle of form follows function (means the shape of a building or object should relate to its primary intended function or purpose).

Abelo had a good product that needed a couple of tweaks (improving the handhold recess, resolving the CB, correcting BBS dimension) but instead chose to produce a new design (essentially a Lyson) in parallel. Imagine the confusion of the poor beginner looking at the two options! This curious dilution of brand may be explained by Abelo's need to increase production to meet demand: last year the old hive parts were out of stock for months due to the limited number of moulds, the slow process of steam moulding, curing and painting, and the capacity of Lyson to fulfil UK National orders when international Lang production must be top of their list.

So yes, Lyson influence on Abelo design is clearly strong. Too many cooks in the kitchen?

6 in the 940, a layer of 6 supers on top, a load of minor gear around that, at least ten boxes on the 8x4 roof rack, and all at very fast speeds and heated leather armchairs. Mmmm! (until the ULEZ kills the 940 in two years).

Landing boards not a waste? Waste of wood, effort, money. All are in short supply round here.

And you would still have fit 6 hives with landing boards in as well. You are not a commercial keeper so the efficiency of getting and extra 20 hives on a tailor isn't a concern for you or most of us hobbyists .

Landing boards are not a waste. I used to wonder why I saw a line of dead bees under my non landing board old hives in winter until I sat and observed what was happening. Tired (or cold) returning bees were missing the entrance, hitting the sides of the hives, dropping to the ground and dying. Added landing boards and hey presto now they dropped (mainly...nothing is 100%) onto the landing boards and could now walk into the hive. I've seen the same in summer with exhausted pollen laden bees not making it quite to the entrance....
So landing boards are not a waste they save bees lives adding to the efficiency of running a hive.

It's also very pleasurable to watch bees in summer ambling out of the hive and wandering about on the landing board "taking the evening breeze".
There are several more reasons why landing boards are preferable, but not worth me typing them all out as you seem committed to their demise. But have a look at Br. Adam's steep landing boards, they extended to the ground for very good logical reasons.

Abelo had a good product that needed a couple of tweaks (improving the handhold recess, resolving the CB, correcting BBS dimension) but instead

Whoa there a minute Mr. Beaumont....those tweaks are your opinion of what might make the ideal hive for YOU....I can tell you that is not true for many other beekeepers. To many of us they don't need tweaking as the features form an important part of our beekeeping practise. Like having a landing board for one :D
Some of the features have proved to be a bit advanced for many beekeepers, but for those of us who appreciate them for the tweaking we can make to the hive environment....well I wouldn't like to be without them....Bit like Breakdown cover for your car....you never know when you might need it. Like those poly blocks.....I once was out of floors for an artificial swarm so stood Abelo hive body on a solid upturned roof...and removed block to create an entrance. Worked a treat.
I've seen pictures on a well know bloggists web site of Abelo hives being transported with travel screens on and the Abelo roofs strapped to the side of the hive. If he had only realised that by removing the poly inserts you already had a travel screen....so you begin to see what I mean about some not appreciating the "advanced features" in the Abelo hive.....I could go on (and on and on...)but you get my jist. And no Erica I'm not even vaguely related to Damien....in fact the bugger takes a lot of money off me.
I also have to say that a hobbyist beekeeper suggesting that a multinational beekeeping supplier like Lyson doesn't know what they are doing is ...shall we say..... a ,little naive.....

Last edited:
I used to wonder why I saw a line of dead bees under my non landing board old hives in winter until I sat and observed what was happening. Tired (or cold) returning bees were missing the entrance, hitting the sides of the hives, dropping to the ground and dying. Added landing boards and hey presto now they dropped (mainly...nothing is 100%) onto the landing boards
That's why I like my underfloor entrances, gives the best of both worlds - same 18x18" footprint as the brood boxes but with the convenience of the landing 'lobby' which also helps with finding the entrance in a sharp crosswind.

That's why I like my underfloor entrances, gives the best of both worlds - same 18x18" footprint as the brood boxes but with the convenience of the landing 'lobby' which also helps with finding the entrance in a sharp crosswind.

Just making some up.
I like the deep lobby. I must admit it’s a bit disconcerting watching the bees in a flow leaving the slot and thumping down on the lobby floor in their haste but they don’t seem bothered.

Though you did tell JBM you worked with them on design so hardly surprising you go on and on and on and on and on................

I can quite honestly say I have never been involved in the original design process of either the old or the new type Abelo hive.....I might be guilty of exaggerating being asked my opinions of what my thoughts were on what features made a good hive....mainly as a counter to someone suggesting no thought went into it. A lot of thought did...

As was said wisely many posts ago too many "experts" and too many "opinions" about what the perfect hive is.
No such beast.

Latest posts

Back