A use for surplus honey ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerryBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been reading an old beekeeping manual

"A manual of Beekeeping for English-Speaking Beekeepers" by E.B.Wedmore, second edition published 1945

In the section on the uses of honey he writes "Honey may also be used in anti-freezing mixtures in the radiators of cars, where it has the advantage that it does not evaporate or attack metal work. A mixture of half honey, half water may be employed but where very low temperatures are met with it is advisable to add alcohol".

There are some other gems in there. He suggests using old petrol tins for storing honey, reminding the reader that they need to be washed out first.

Whatever next!

If your edition is the one that is in paragraphs then keep a grip of it as the info is still very much valid. Just looked mine up and it is the 45 edition revised and printed to the War Standard in 46.

Bear in mind at the time recycling was very much in vogue due to no other options and petrol cans were used for many different jobs. His gems are possibly more valuable than you seem to think.....

I consult Wedmore pretty much every other week.

PH

Last edited:
Wedmore even had a novel idea for recycling matchsticks.

Still a winter preparation recommended by some august beekeeping bodies, even today.

Wouldn't have thought it would be much use in any modern engine or radiator .Old systems used cast iron engine blocks and pipes and radiators were of a heavier grade metal. Try repairing a modern radiator its nearly impossible.

There are some other gems in there. He suggests using old petrol tins for storing honey, reminding the reader that they need to be washed out first.

Whatever next![/QUOTE]

You said this out loud lol. That said petrol flavoured honey could catch on, I suppose you could spread it on bread, light it and hey presto toast n honey!

I love old books! Thanks for sharing:D

That is one sad comment.

History built our foundations.

PH

My 'Wedmore'will likely be the one bee book that I will never pass on. Too valuable. So many useful items - as long as one is sensible and/or understands the reasons why some things were done that way, and why they are not at all appropriate to beekerping in this century.

Probably not a book for 'monkey see, monkey do' beekeepers!

That is one sad comment.

History built our foundations.

PH

Exactly - a firm foundation for my desk.

What I find sad is pompously banging on about insulation and polystyrene hives then hero worshiping a man who published a whole book about how bees need cold hives and roaring gales based on nothing but his own unproven theories and 'facts' spread by the war office propaganda machine.

If we talk about old cars, 100 years ago they went with steam engine.

The chauffer meant heater (Deutch), who heated the engine before you can start the mobile.

If you look "steam car" from google pictures, they are nice. ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back