A Sad and Fond Farewell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeaddiplomat

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
sadly, no more!
Went to check the hives last weekend. One very happy and productive one: the other, the hive from hell. Got attacked in a way that had never happened before - and somehow a couple of the little blighters found their way into my suit, and stung me.

Allergic reaction!

I am now the owner of an epipen, and advised by my doctor to try to avoid contact with angry bees in future. Always being inclined to accept expert advice, that means that I am now not only a dead diplomat, but also an ex-beekeeper!

(Which does not mean that I will not return from time to time to haunt the pages of this forum: which I have much enjoyed following).

In the meantime, may all of your hives be productive ones!

Farewell. :seeya::seeya::seeya:

Always sad to see a member leave but fully understand your motives. Best wishes and good luck for your next hobby
E

double up on suit wellies and gauntlets , for now and get treatment so you can enjoy your bees again.
if not farewell and good luck for the future

Nothing wrong with desensitisation if you are able to attend all those appointments. My employer would laugh if I asked for all the time off that would be required, for years.
It's not the answer for everyone.

Best wishes for the future the Dead Diplomat.

Hard luck and best wishes.

There are bees docile enough to require neither suit nor veil..

So sorry to hear about your misfortune....good luck in the future.

What a shame. All the best for the future.

Sorry to see you go. There have been members that became allergic but successfully went through desensitisation therapy. Maybe it could work for you if you would rather get back into the hobby?

Nothing wrong with desensitisation if you are able to attend all those appointments. My employer would laugh if I asked for all the time off that would be required, for years.
It's not the answer for everyone.

Best wishes for the future the Dead Diplomat.

He's a DEAD diplomat.

Couldn't you trade the current Mrs DD in for a beekeeper? or advertise for a Valet/Chauffeur/apiarist?

A good thought. I have on occasion pressed the current Lady DD into service as an underbeekeeper. But I rather doubt where, in the absence of my gentle but firm supervision, she will be able to sustain the principal role. Sadly, the faithful family retainers are not up to it, either.

Thank you all for your kind words and for the suggestions about desensitisation etc. But - as the lucky ones among you will eventually discover for yourselves - there comes a point where age and general physical (some would say mental, too!) decay makes this an impractical option.

Sorry to see you go, but do get the treatment to get desensitised or else it cold be the death of you, beekeeping or not...

Back